Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:32 PM   #1

OK, so I'm cutting my grass and brush up against a limb that had partially broken from a storm. Noticing this 'paper' nest, I think "ok, no panic as I don't see any bees or hornets or such. Maybe it's old" Then some start popping out of the hole, and so I take off (for my camera of course!). I originally thought of a hornets nest, but after viewing through my 14B, it's not that kind of nest. So is it a wasp nest? I've always seen just 'mud dobbers' around here (Indiana). So what are these? I would have gotten closer but at about 20 feet I had one fly over to me and whack my camera loud enough to put some fear into me; I high-tailed it out... again. :-)

Pic 1:

Attached Images

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:33 PM   #2

Pic 2:

Attached Images

Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3

This is a bald-faced hornet nest. Yours is bigger than mine. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:53 PM   #4

It appears to be a white faced hornet's nest.

The insects seem different than I remember them.

If it is white faced hornets, they are very aggressive & will attack with little provocation.
jhrosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5

Looking at the pictures, they do appear to have white on the heads, but also I see white on their tails (sorry, I've forgotten the biology terms for their parts :-) I never got stung, but I got away pretty quickly. I'll do some more research. Thanks for the inputs!
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:16 PM   #6

Fred, your pic does look very similar. The insects look to have more white in them than in yours, but hard to tell really. Also, the nest appears to be made differently. Yours appears more 'layered' than this one, but that could be the angle I suppose. I did high-tail it fairly quickly, and one or two followed me for a short time, but backed off (whew !). My older brother did retrieve the lawnmower later on and didn't get stung (it was inches away from the nest), so they must not be too aggressive. But when the limb initially got tapped, they swarmed the mower quite heavily. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures at that time (can you say, 'scaredy cat' ??!!)
I'd kinda like to get rid of the inhabitants before winter as the grass is already too long!! If not, at least it's just the back yard area away from the house. Once they've left the nest for ground, I should have no problems with the nest at all right? I mean, if I take it then, I don't want any coming out of it later in my house!
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:35 PM   #7

OK, so a quick 'google' gave me some more pictures of both the nest and the 'hornets'. They are indeed bald-faced hornets and are also called white-faced. "IMPORTANT: Bald-Faced-Hornets, like the European Hornets, are only aggressive when threatened! But the last thing you want to do is to disturb a nest of bald-faced hornets, considering there may be between 400 and 700 workers per colony. If you will disturb them too much, they vigorously defend their nest by stinging any nearby intruder."

I also found out that they eat flies and generally are fun to watch. So I think I'll observe them and see if I can't just wait them out. Besides, it gives me a reason to not cut that grass ! :G
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:36 PM   #8

Anyone want to try a macro on them ?? :|
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:59 AM   #9

Here is how to get of these little guys.

1. Get a pump-up sprayer and put in about a half gallon of gas (any grade will do).
2. Walk up and spray the nest (no reason for a protective suite as you don't want people to think you are a sissy), now the ones that get a direct spray will drop dead like flies and the others will stay in the nest (at least for your sake we hope they do).
3. Now back a way, put down the sprayer, wash your hands (very important) and now light up a roman candle (left over from the 4th) and lob a few fire balls into the nest :ak47:. This will start a nice fire (big or small depending on the amount of gas) but this is no big problem as the fire department will come and put it out. You will also get to meet some very nice firemen.
4. Problem solved.

Now wasn't that easy.

PS - Please have someone take pictures:| and you can post the outcome.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:35 PM   #10

Gee. your suggestion matches that of my son, 'the terminator'.

But you see, I'd like to keep the nest as I've heard they go for about $30 at flea markets ;-) Even if I do a scorch and burn, I'd still like to see Fred or someone get a good macro first. Perhaps the queen 'doing the deed' ? Surely they'd jump on the chance. They've done the same for flies, bees...