Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

John James Audubon arrived in America in 1803 at the age of 18 to oversee his father's estate at Mill Grove outside of Philadelphia. Hesoon became fascinated with drawings of birds he encounteredalong Pennypack Creek. These shots are from a railroad bed built in 1868 about 100 yards fromPennypack Creek and about a mile from the mouth of the creek at the Delaware River.

FZ5 w/ Olympus tcon17 1.7x tele converter

FZ5 w/ Olympus tcon17 1.7x tele converter

FZ5 w/ Ricoh tc200m 1.5x tele converter

FZ5 alone at 5x zoom

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:06 AM   #2

Hey fmoore,

Have you had any problems focussing with the TCON 17 and the FZ5 with the stock adapter or do you use a modified version of it - the one you linked to in earlier posts?

Good shots by the way.
overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:25 AM   #3

The tcon17 shots were taken using the modified adapter but the focusing idiosyncracies of the fz5 are not a result of the adapter nor of the tele used. The fz5 autofocus (there is no manual focus)at near full zoom often gets the focus wrong - usually focusing on the background. It can be particularly challenging with birding shots like these where there is alot going on. But, as these pics demonstrate, sharp focus can be obtained. Look for a vertical high contrasted area near the subject to lock focus on with a shutter half-press and return to the subject and framing desired and complete the shutter press. Also, locking focus a little low on the subject (which would be a little closer, generally)seems toincrease the chances of getting sharp focus. Mostly it's a matter of taking lots of shots and hoping for the best.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:10 AM   #4

I agree since this is consistant with what I have found so far with my new Fz5. Whilst it is a fast and generally very good autofocus system (at least compared to my trusty Canon A75) it does sometimes 'choose' the completely wrong focus point. Mostly I use spot focussing now which tends to relieve this problem.

Can I just say it's excellent to have such a helpful and knowledgeable group of people willing to give advice, opinions and share experience.

Thanks again
overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote