Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:41 PM   #1

Hi, As you all know I have been to the Alligator Farmin St. Augustine, Fl. to practice learning about my camera with filters and without etc. Well, I decided that would concentrate on the birds in the rookery. I never got a picture of a flying bird that was worth a darn, I can't seem to find the right shutter speed and iso.....I'll keep workig on that.... To make a long story short I was focused on some other birds when I hard all this squawking. I couldn't think fast enough to change settings...very frustrated....so if you ll can read the exifs please tell me whatI shouldhave done. It was overcast that day. I was about 25 or 35 ft away.Please forgive me for all he pictures I'm going to put them in 2 posts. I wish that I was more experiencd or had one of the more expienced fz owners with me for advice......but I did have fun and that's what it's all about. The first picture is ofthe birds squawking. Enjoy!bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2

Now they are getting into it.......
Attached Images

Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:43 PM   #3

Going at it.....
Attached Images

Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:45 PM   #4

really mad now.......
Attached Images

Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:16 PM   #5

They all look great. But the third one is fantastic. Beak to beak forming a perfect mirror image. How lucky can you get. It's like getting a hole in one. Congratulations on a great shoot.

P.S. Consider yourself lucky that it was overcast. You got no burnout on the white feathers, which is very common. I know it's happened to me.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:28 PM   #6

Wow. Great shots! Great exposure on such a bright bird. The only suggestion I would have, in order to prevent any blurring from movements of the bird (such as the wings in the first two), try iso 100 first, use aperture priority mode, put it on F2.8 and see if the shutter speed is at least 1/250 and preferably even 1/500. If that doesn't work, don't be afraid of iso 200. You might get some noise, but it can be easily removed. In this case, I saw from the exif you had it on program mode, which used a shutter speed of about 1/125and aperture F 3.3. I think if you just usediso 100 and set the aperture to F 2.8 in aperture priority mode, you would have had fast enough shutter speed to prevent any blur. All that being said, I think these are allgreat pics.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:06 PM   #7

Thanks you all. I was so excited at the photo opportunity.It was all happening so fast and some tourist were trying to talk tome at the same time. I was trying to bepolite and still pay attention to what I was doing....pure frustration....Thanks for the advice and compliments....bentleysmom
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:24 PM   #8

You are posting some very nice pictures. I really like this set of shots. Now number 4 had to hurt.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:23 PM   #9

Thanks tcook, I appreciate your kind words. All of you have been so encouraging. I'm very appreciative of you time. I had so much fun taking theses pictures! Makes me want to go back to the rookery to do even better.I doubt if I'll get another opportunity to see something such as that again. bentleysmom
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:21 PM   #10

Great series BM I agree with Hiroshi's comments too
#3 is super

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote