Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:24 PM   #11

I doubt the Nikkor 70-300G is of the same quality as the FZ20's Leica lens. Can you post some pictures taken with the Nikkor here. I like the D50 but could notfind a reasonable priced lens that can compare with the Leica lens.

Attached picture was taken with my FZ20. I shall stick to my FZ20 until I could find a suitable lens for the D50.

ruchai

jobi64 wrote:
Quote:
Forget to say, the 70-300G is about $150 and equivalent to 450mm on D50, its also very light.

Rgds
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:43 PM   #12

Another picture from my FZ20.

ruchai

jobi64 wrote:
Quote:
Forget to say, the 70-300G is about $150 and equivalent to 450mm on D50, its also very light.

Rgds
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:21 PM   #13

It's funny how this guy hasn't responded to all of you great people's responses. But it comes down to this: what do you need the camera for? And how much money are you willing to spend. Cause even when I bought the FZ20, I had to get accessories, and with everything I paid close to 2k. Of course, I got the LTZ10, a lot of memory and Panasonic batteries etc. But I think the FZ30 is more (should be) than enough camera for even the "prosumer". Nikon accessories are beyond expensive, as well as their lenses. Ifu got the dough, then go for it, if not, stick with the FZ30, when it comes out!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:27 PM   #14

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
your comparison is very flawed. when I stated that to match our current lens to something similar on dSLRs you
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM~ $1,255.15

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM~ $1,584.59

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM ~ $3,884.31

I am sorry to cut in; but, I do think your comparison does not have much merit either because you did not factor in image quality. This is commonly seen flawd comparison between DSLR lenses and DC lenses, because we only match aperture and forget about image quality. Do keep in mind that the increase of image quality is not a linear relationship of money, size, weight, etc. This is the same as automobiles. While most f/2.8 DSLR lenses are expensive because f/2.8 is considered as a pro level minimal requirement. Yes, lens makers CAN make f/2.8 lenses with lower quality; but, I doubt thatpeople would buy it.

There are other secondary impacts from this f/2.8 syndrome. Most of these DSLR f/2.8 lenses can go up to f/22, while DC level f/2.8 lenses can at best be up to f/11 due to diffraction concerns. Given the high ISO capability of DSLR bodies, 1600 isreasonably usable; however, this is usually not the case for most DCs. As a result, a f/2.8 lens on a DC does not translate to very high shutter speed. DCs with f/2.8 still have AF difficulty in low light situation; but, DSLR can usually lock on subjects at f/5.6 under the same low light situation. So, given the AF and high ISO capability, f/2.8 is not a REQUIRED factor for most shooters. When it is the time that a shooter must use f/2.8 with a DSLR, most f/2.8 capable DCs may not even be operable. I am not saying f/2.8 is useless on a DC; but, what I am trying to say is that the benefits brought to usby a f/2.8 lens on a DC are not as significant as those f/2.8 SLR lenses do. Consequently, just comparing price tags misses the point.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:12 PM   #15
CVC

I have an FZ20 and like it a lot, but to compare it's lens and images to the equipment Max Pain is mentioning is way off the mark. Like Nancy said if you like the FZ then there is no reason to move to a DSLR. They are different tools to produce images and how you see them is all that's important. CK brought a lot of good info to the technical side of the discussion.
CVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:21 PM   #16

I mostly photographing wild birds. I like my FZ20 but I need a camera with better low light capability. To switch to dSLR I need decenttele lenses. Which are what Max Pain mentioned! I am still looking.

Lenses for dSLR are all designed for film (cameras) whih is 1"x1.5", far bigger than dSLR ccd. To have to pay and carry the extra weight of the unnecesary over size lenses is some what rediculus.

I hope the larger ccd of the FZ30 will solve my problem.

ruchai

CVC wrote:
Quote:
I have an FZ20 and like it a lot, but to compare it's lens and images to the equipment Max Pain is mentioning is way off the mark. Like Nancy said if you like the FZ then there is no reason to move to a DSLR. They are different tools to produce images and how you see them is all that's important. CK brought a lot of good info to the technical side of the discussion.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:37 AM   #17

Canon does make lenses specifically for the 20D/XT cameras. They are the EF-S series. I think there are only 3 of them. But one of them goes to 300mm (and multiply that by 1.6 factor). Of course I think it starts @ f4. But u can adjust the ISO up to 3200, and the noise is still lower than the FZ20 @ ISO400!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:28 AM   #18

Back Thanks for all the replies!* Basically, I got my FZ20 in February, and I'm thinking of selling it for the D50. I like to shoot a lot of low light photos, without flash, and this is where a DSLR could come in handy.*After reading the explanation of the lack of f2.8 on many DSLR lenses, it seems to make sense. I use f2.8 a LOT on my FZ, because I like blurry backgrounds, but also because I like to take hand-help photos in low light without flash, so I need fast shutter speeds. Couple this with a high ISO, and that's a lot of noise.*Given a D50 with the 18-55 kit lens, and the 70-300 lens, am I looking at pretty much the same coverage as my FZ20? Give or take?
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:48 AM   #19

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Canon does make lenses specifically for the 20D/XT cameras. They are the EF-S series. I think there are only 3 of them. But one of them goes to 300mm (and multiply that by 1.6 factor). Of course I think it starts @ f4. But u can adjust the ISO up to 3200, aind the noise is still lower than the FZ20 @ ISO400!
I agree, the FZ20 generates a lot of noise when shooting at ISO 400. That was one of the main problems I experienced with the FZ20. I think another factor to consider regarding digital zooms and dslrs is startup time. The startup time on the FZ20 can be a killer when you need to get a shot off quickly. With most dslr's you dont encounter that problem. Further, dslrs, in comparison to zooms like te FZ20, have the ability to take shots in rapid sucession, to focus manually. I gave my brother my FZ20 and purchased a rebel xt as a replacement. That's not to say that the former is a bad camera--it's a great camera! The best in its class. However, it does have its shortcomings. Panasonic, hopefully, will build on ithe success of the FZ20 and its LUMIX brand in the coming months.
Farinhiet451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:06 PM   #20

Took a look @ the D50 today...WOW. Anyone in the market for an FZ20?
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote