Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:53 PM   #21

Sorry for the double post my mistake!

Ruchai I will try to post a photo for you, is there anything or special conditions you would like me to shoot?

Meanwhile hers an FZ20 photo of my favourite snake.
jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:19 PM   #22

Dlatu1983 wrote:
Quote:
Back Thanks for all the replies! Basically, I got my FZ20 in February, and I'm thinking of selling it for the D50. I like to shoot a lot of low light photos, without flash, and this is where a DSLR could come in handy.After reading the explanation of the lack of f2.8 on many DSLR lenses, it seems to make sense. I use f2.8 a LOT on my FZ, because I like blurry backgrounds, but also because I like to take hand-help photos in low light without flash, so I need fast shutter speeds. Couple this with a high ISO, and that's a lot of noise.Given a D50 with the 18-55 kit lens, and the 70-300 lens, am I looking at pretty much the same coverage as my FZ20? Give or take?

dSLR has a crop factor or focal length multiplierto 35mm. Each one has its own, butthe average is 1.5. Basically, a 300mm would be 450mm in 35mm terms and 18mm would be 27mm in 35mm terms. Also, you may find converging lines to be a problem going fully wide with the kit lens.

There isn't a lack of 2.8 lenses for the dSLR. What you would lack is enough money to live on if you had to buy these lenses.

I like the dSLR but I would not be so fast in getting rid of the FZ20. I almost did and am glad that I decided to keep it.

As far as noise I went with the Pentax instead. It handles noise better than anything out there. It goes up to 3200 iso. I was able to take shots of Tiffany stained glass on display at the Navy Pier in Chicago at 3200 iso and the results were fantastic.

What it all boils down to though is us behind the camera and how we use it. Once you know and understand what you want as you stated then go for the camera that helps make that happen for you.

Getting too technical can stunt creativity and taking the good shot since you feel the camera just can't do what you want. Maybe so. Make the most of what you have and neverfind yourselfin regrettingthat you sold a camera you thought needed to be replaced by the next best thing.

Instead of looking for the next best one to come along shoot with what you have and learn all you can about the particular model you have. You may surprise yourself.

One last thing about dSLR. If you are not careful youcan get yourself wound upfeeling you are one lens short of having what you need.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:36 PM   #23
CVC

Don't like the snake pic.:evil:
CVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:40 PM   #24

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
There isn't a lack of 2.8 lenses for the dSLR. What you would lack is enough money to live on if you had to buy these lenses.

Yes! The decision - really, is do you want to buy a digital"system" or a camera? I was tempted to buy a DSLR but instead went with a 6X6 medium format SLR, and keep my FZ1v2 as my digital. DSRLs are very nice - not knocking them, but I think they're low on the "value" scale and the lenses are out of sight. I know I would always be chasing after lenses, and truthfully, if you don't have the upgraded prime (usually), a wide, a portrait mid-telephoto, and a telephoto, they're not worth it imo.

I recently bought an enlarger, and all the required accessories, including a $250 enlarger lens (on eBay for $30), chemistry, paper... the works, plus two unbelievable "real" MF Zeisslenses, and two othervery good lenses, including a 30mm fisheye... for LESS than the cost of a digital body.

I am kinda new at wet process film dev and printing but I have to tell you. IMO, YMMV.... nothing, NOTHING I've seen digital tops a properly exposed and processed,old school, wet processed 35mm, medium (or large) format black and white PRINT. Realize that MF gives you the equiv of 40 megapixels of resolution. Also, it's just flat out fun. Yeah, the immediate gratification of digital is nice, but nicer still is the "magic" of seeing your negs make their journey successfullyout of the tank, and watching your print gradually appear in the development tray in the darkroom.

If I want to shoot color, I just get the negs developed ($5 to $7 and most C41 machines can do it) without prints, and scan in thenegatives.I can get 2-3X the resolution scanning in negativeon a $100 Epson scannerthan any DSLR can give with their in camera CCDs.

My recommendation?

Keep your FZ as a digital... then,

Get a "great" used classic 35mm camera on eBay for anywhere from $10 to $100

Again - eBay around, be patient and acuire a used set of 35mm lenses at the needed focal lengths wide, prime, telefor say $200. (I'm looking at an excellent28mm f2.8 pentax-k mount for an old 35mm camera on eBay now that's going for $25-ish.)

Buy a $100 Epson or Canon scanner that can scan negatives

Film is dirt cheap. Buy $50 worth of film, throw it in your freezer. You should be good to go for quite some time.

Find a good local lab...

Also, since developing my own B&W'sI realize that these high ISO numbers are "nice" - okay, but not all that ... the difference between EI of 400 and 1000 is one f-stop. I've pushed Ilford 3200film up to 6400 and shot at night without a flash and got okay results but the difference between 3200 and 6400 is only one stop. You can equip your FZ with a wide angle (suggest the Raynox DCR 6600) and cheat the f-stops by shooting at a lower shutter speed - 1/30th, even 1/15th due to their image stabilization on an FZ and get good results in low light at EI 200. Sometimes you hear EIs like 1000, 3200 and you think WOW you can shoot in total darkness!!! Uh uh. They're f-stops. In fact, you're sometimes better off with a lower iso and slower shutter speed thanpushing the iso into the red zone, and getting the accompanying digital noise.

Just one man's opinion... worth the price you paid for it...

Regards,

NickTrop (aka Goldar...)

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:40 AM   #25

Thanks, I did looked at the D50 and bought one today.Now , what 300/400mm lens to buy for my bird photography?

Dlatu1983 wrote:
Quote:
Took a look @ the D50 today...WOW. Anyone in the market for an FZ20?
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:43 AM   #26

Good for you!

Hers a shoot taken with my D50 at 300mm using a sigma 70-300mm none apo, I returned this lens because It was too soft, the Nikon gives me much better results.

My first pick regarding lens was the 80-400VR and 70-200 2.8 sigma, I tried the 70-200 and find it to heavy to carry around, I bought the cheaper 70-300G because the 80-400VR was back order, however now that I am fully satisfied with the 70-300G I will not obtain the 80-400VR, maybe next year?

Also I didn't want to brag about the qualities of the D50, but I think you will like its qualities very much.

Have fun!

Rgds
jobi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:48 AM   #27
CVC

The D50 is a great choice. The FZ is a good digicam but cannot produce the images a large sensor does. Try shooting RAW and the results will blow you away.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:09 PM   #28

Now I have to decide what lens? I am thinking about Sigma 50-500.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:32 AM   #29
CVC

If you buy a "Bigma" lens budget for a heavy duty tripod and stock up on ibuprofen.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:32 AM   #30
CVC