Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1

Kodak has announced a new class of 'advanced digital cameras' today with the introduction of the P series, which it hopes, will provide an alternative to the DSLRs. The flagship of the range is the 24 mm wide angle lens EasyShare P880, which offers 8 megapixels, manual zoom ring and full manual control. The second camera in the range is the EasyShare P850, which has an image stabilized 12x zoom Schneider-Kreuznach lens, 36-432mm (35mm equiv). Both cameras can record RAW files and include a hot shoe. The EasyShare P880 wil be available beginning this September priced $599, while the EasyShare P850 is available at the beginning of this month, priced $499.

above qoute from dpreview:

Press Release: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

Is that a viewfinder??? check out the pics of the cams

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/ko...0frontback.jpg

arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:51 PM   #2

Whoa!!! Looks amazing. It will be interesting to see how well the features are implemented. So many brands are jumping on the "ZLR" (ultra Zoom Lens) phase, it will really start coming down to image quality. Feature implementation will be a big part too, because a couple models are already evidently lacking some important capabilities that we're used to with our FZs. Improved image quality would definately arouse my curiousity though...

I'm beginning to realize that you won't get DSLR results without owning a DSLR though. Period.

Also, link to UZ model pic:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/ko...0frontback.jpg
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:20 PM   #3

The biggest beneficiary is the consumer...not only because we have so many models coming in...But look at the price tags.....and street prices will be much below this...
Other manufacturers will also have to come down with their prices to stay in the competion....

Old Aug 2, 2005, 2:26 PM   #4

Does anyone know the sensor sizes? I couldn't find them.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:21 PM   #5

That's a good question, given the 8MP model...
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:52 PM   #6

the P850 is still a 5.1MP camera, no benefit there over the FZ'z. notably, shot-to-shot time is listed at 1.7 sec... that's pretty slow, compared to the FZ'z 2 FPS in continuous still mode (with a fast SD card) which the Kodak doesn't even have; max shutter speed is 1/1000, much slower than the FZ. it does offer a wider range of selectable ISO settings, including ISO800 in 1.2MP mode only, and will let you shoot in RAW as well as TIFF and JPEG. haven't been able to find anythingon sensor size...

no idea what the Kodak costs, but it's notlikely to beat out the FZ20 anytime soon.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:41 PM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
it does offer a wider range of selectable ISO settings, including ISO800 in 1.2MP mode only
Well, then it will probably be a 1/2.5" sensor.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:09 PM   #8

If the sensor is 1/2.5", it is bound to have higher level of noise. I am not sure on what basis are they marketing it as an alternative to a DSLR???:?:?:O
I checked out the Kodak site too....they have all the specs except sensor size...strange:?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:55 PM   #9

The P850 looks nice, but that 880 is way ugly! That cyclops look is not attractive. Other than that, they look like decent products.
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:16 PM   #10

I agree with Squirl! Also have u guys checked out that new Samsung. It has a very large LCD. My money is still on the FZ30 (of course this is a gal who has the Canon EOS 20D under her belt- n yet, I really like the FZ series over the Canon, esp. b/c of price, and for all of that money, the camera doesn't feel that "professional" - also coming from a gal who has shot with Hasselblad, Pentax 67, and Contax w/Zeiss lenses). I hooked up a Kodak cam for a girlfriend of mine, and wasn't crazy about that easyshare, and the dockable station. These companies assume their customers are morons (whilst its true that you have some people who are fairly ignorant when it comes to computer skills) and I just don't like it.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote