Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 429

I want to get started taking photos for a local paper part time any ideas on getting started. How much should I charge them for pictures? How do I get press passes for local events. Anyone have any sites on how to get started in freelance. Is there any legal stuff that I need to know about taking public pictures for newspaper print? Any help would be great.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,400

Hum, I can point you to a few things.

Go to school get a Journalism or Photojournalism degree.
For small local papers contact them and be prepared to show an on topic portfolio, some still run stringers.

In today's market they will make you sign a freelance contract. Pay is low and a lot of them now want all rights to your work. Local paper here pays a whopping 20$ a photo if they use it.
Also find out what their image submission requirements are, you may need to seriously upgrade your kit.

You get a press-pass by being hired by a real news service which will arrange for them as needed. Trying to buy a press-pass from places like ifpo (do they still exist) is a waste of money.

EP: http://www.editorialphoto.com/
ASMP: http://www.asmp.org/
PPoA: http://www.ppa.com/splash.cfm
ASJA: http://www.asja.org/

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:01 PM.