Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1

Im planning to buy another camera, something more compact to take everywhere I go. I only want to spend around $100-150 since I probably won't care if I break it down the road. Rather than spend the money on a new camera with little or no features Im looking at Ebay for some used/refurbished better quality cameras. These are some of the ones Ive been looking at.

Panasonic FZ1 (of course)
Panasonic DMC-LC50/70
Konica Dimage Z1/Z10
Kodak DX7440 or CX73430
Canon Powershot S40

What do you all have as a throw around camera when you dont feel like lugging the big FZ10/15/20 around? Thanks!

dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

My previous (and first) digicam was a Pentax Optio S5i. It produced fantastic results for an extremely ultra-compact point and shoot. This is the 5MP cam small enough to fit inside an Altoids tin, with 3x optical/4x digi zoom. It had tons of great automatic preset 'scene' modes to help get a quick, great capture. There are a few decent manual settings, but it's by no means a 'manual' camera - that's why I upgraded to my FZ20.

Check out my flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprocket87. The recent pics are all with my FZ20, but all the old pics are with my Pentax (75% of the sets). You can see in the properties area on the right side of the page which camera it was taken with.

It will run you about $230-250 new (check www.mpsuperstore.com, where I got mine). eBay is probably much less.

I won't say it's the best ultracompact digicam out there since I haven't tried tons, but I was extremely satisfied. It IS most definately the most features and best quality for a camera of that size though, hands down.

If you want to check out some other ones too, I'd look at the Canon PowerShot series; a lot of their ultracompact digicams are excellent. Several have ultimately better quality than the Pentax I described above, but they are somewhat larger too (still very portable though).
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

PS - a couple examples of shots from my Pentax:

(Great macro capabilities with that cam too - waaay better than the stock FZ20. That's one of my Fossil wristwatches).

Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked Ebay and the prices were actually higher...I tell ya you can really get burned on Ebay if you are not careful. So many people overbid on everything its hard to get a bargain these days.

Im kind of leaning toward the FZ1 if I can land one for about $150. The pictures posted on this board speaks for itself on the quality of the camera.

Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:34 AM   #5

I see your point. I don't know much about the FZ1, but if it has a good reputation then it will most likely deliver. Obviously make sure to check all the big review sites, including Steves Digicams, dcresource.com, dpreview.com, etc. Check the "con's" and negative aspects of the camera and make sure they are things you are willing to live with- else you will end up regretting not putting that $150 elsewhere.

When it comes to digicams, it's always a trade-off. Noise/exposure/focus/speed/colors/sharpness/etc - no camera will have each one perfect. You have to decide which attributes you can live with sacrificing, and find the camera with that as one of it's few weak spots.

Let us know what you end up getting.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:07 PM   #6

Well, I decided on the Kodak DX7440. Its nice and compact and its something the wife can easily pick up and use. Every time she holds my FZ20 w/sunpak 383 with her tiny hands my heart jumps right in my throat! :O

Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:40 AM   #7

Oh, yes! the FZ1 is the way to go, you will be using the same SD cards and batteries in a smaller/faster package. The great plus of the FZ1v2 is handheld Infrared imagery, everybody would tell you that's the reason we don't change it. I have two FZ1's (one black and one silver) and an FZ10 but since my parents don't like it as much as my canon sd100 (because of portability) they returned it to me (shame on them, hehe).
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 3:30 PM   #8

I'll probably get the FZ1 down the road....as a playaround camera for IR shots. Thanks all for the suggestions. When I get it Ill have 4 cameras....this is getting depressing.

:lol:

Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:55 PM   #9

I fully agree on the fz1. I have two (2) and the fz5. TheIR capability alone is worth $150. Any add-ons you have for the fz20 will work very nicely with the fz1. Plus the battery, charger, sd cards, etc. All that being said, I don't consider it a compact camera.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote