Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:02 PM   #1

This may sound like a silly question, but does the image stabilization on the Pan. FX series compensate for the lack of a viewfinder when focusing? I tried using the Fuji F10 without a viewfinder and ended up selling it because I could not get used to focusing only with the LCD. I really like the description of the FX8 and FX9 that will be released in Sept., but neither has a viewfinder and I'd like to know if the IS can make up for it. Maybe someone who has used the FX7 or FX8 can help me out with this. Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

What was it about using the LCD to frame shots that you could not get use to? Did you hand shake to much? Was the screen not clear enough? etc.
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:33 PM   #3

Yes to both questions. I found that as I held the camera away from my body to focus on a shot, my hand would start to shake and the image did not appear very clear. With a viewfinder, I find that I have more physical control over the camera and can stabilize it better, even when the viewfinder is tiny. Of course, some of this is just habit. All my life I have used a camera with a viewfinder so not using one was a total change for me. I would like to get used to it, since it seems that so many fine cameras are being made without one.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:00 PM   #4

Yes, I would say image stabilization helps BUT it doesn't perform miracles, for example a slow shutter in low light situations might give you blurry shots even with a viewfinder so it's even worse with an LCD. But don't get me wrong IS is a bug help and I can testify it's claims of 2 stops of light. I have an FZ1v2 and FZ10 and when I need to shoot with the LCD I turn on the image stabilzation (full time in Mode 1) and as some people recommend I use the strap around my neck to pull the camera away from me. I have gotten frames with shutter speeds as slow as 1/4 and using IS and the strap and this is the way to go. About focusing, it just depends on what you are focusing, AF works well in Spot mode in our FZ series cameras, i would say FX is similar (I guess) Focus in the subject where there is a strong contrast (in the vertical plane), recompose and slowly press the shutter button or use the self timer. Hope it helps... my 2 cents.
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:46 PM   #5

ditto, for what ascaria has stated. With OIS in Mode 1, it is quite is to see the possitive effects in minimizing hand shake in the LCD. The new LX1 might be an idea for you too. It's a bit larger but it gives you more zoom, higher resolution, and manual controls
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote