Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:51 PM   #1

Couple months ago me and a friend were shooting models and I (who use a d70 with a 50 1.8 and 80-200 for model work) noticed how much sharper his camera was. Well we did some test in the next couple of days and turns out his camera isn't sharper it's just the image stablizer. but off the tripod he was killing my $1600 lenses handled! So anyway time passed and (I used a tripod more) but I got sick of lugging all my gear around and now I selling my gear and buying his camera! You may think I'm nuts but hey I really just like taking pictures and not carrying 25 pounds of gear everwhere I go. I did a noise test and although the fz15 is on the crap side it good enough for me to sell all my nikon gear and switch. I'll hust wait another year untill a somthing similar comes out with less noise and buy that. so here's my test. The fz 15 had the sharpening low and the noise redution to low. I also used noise ninja on both pictures (because I would have anyway!) and sharped both 50% at 1.1 in PS. Not bad huh.......
Attached Images

RyanDigitalBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

Remember the biggest difference between a P&P and a dSLR is that there is minimal, if any, in-camera sharpening in a dSLR. It is meant to be done later on the computer where you have more control. The dSLR will also give you a much more useable ISO range when lighting isn't perfect.

That being said, I love my FZ-20 and use it more as a walkaround camera. When I shoot other things, I use my 1D (sports) or my 10D.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:41 AM   #3

My friend, I will trade you right now.┬*I mean it. I can even go leave the front porch light on if you want.
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:19 AM   #4

srvsd escribi├│:
Quote:
Remember the biggest difference between a P&P and a dSLR is that there is minimal, if any, in-camera sharpening in a dSLR. It is meant to be done later on the computer where you have more control. The dSLR will also give you a much more useable ISO range when lighting isn't perfect.

That being said, I love my FZ-20 and use it more as a walkaround camera. When I shoot other things, I use my 1D (sports) or my 10D.
It is true, with DSLR you have more usable range of ISO, however... does it is compensated with the lens FZ-20 has (f2.8 - 400mm) ???

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:10 PM   #5

Wasthe WBoff a little on the dslr?

Panasonic makes a good camera, butthe sensor's theyuse do not give the quality of adslr.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:12 PM   #6

To each his own, but no way a FZ15 stacks up to a D70. Your comparison really doesn't show much. I use a FZ20 and a D70 and can tell you the FZ is not up to the quality of images of the D70. Your WB was off and you can use ISO to up shuutter speeds to eliminate shake. But if it's what you like................ how much for the D70
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:03 PM   #7

All that can be said is that Panasonic has better auto WB in low light.

I did a quick test of my own with Panasonic FZ10 vs. Nikon D50 and results were similar,
neither camera was able to get WB right as FZ10 was slightly too bluish and D50 too red.
Lights used in testing 11W fluorescent and 60W tungsten, creating a bad mixed lighting.

Panasonic FZ10 Nikon D50
  • [/*]
I didn't remove exif data so you can chek out settings there if you want.
D50 image is bit softer due the shallower DOF as i used same apereture in both images.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote