Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:59 AM   #1

Hi again folks.

I saw an offer I couldn't refuse on ebay and managed to get the Raynox 1850 a good price. I have to admit that I didn't think about compatibility at the time (which I know is foolish) but I have now read that it's not a good lense for cameras with more than a six times zoom! I would really appreciate it if anyonbe has had any experience with the FZ's and this lense and some pics would be even better.

I'm waiting for it to arrive which will probably be early next week but in the meantime I feeling really gutted. Suppose I could always just sell it on ebay again.

Any help is much appreciated as usual.

Cheers

Overexposed.
overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:04 AM   #2

I think someone said it did not work very well with the FZ20.

But it may work much better with the FZ5...give it a try and report your experience.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:28 AM   #3

There really isn't that much information on the use of the dcr1850 with ultrazoom cameras let alone with the fz5. Theprimary complaint seems to be concerned with chromatic aberration (purple fringing). As Gene suggests, you're going to be in anideal position toincrease theknowledge base. Please post some samples of your findings.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:32 AM   #4

Ok folks, I have an update to this well half way anyway!

I was just itching to know so during my lunch hour, I raced to my nearest well known high street photographic retailer here in the UK to get some 'advice'. I needed to buy a 55-52mm step down ring anyway so asked to attach the raynox, which by some miracle they had in stock!

I voiced my concerns about using the lens with my FZ5 and he almost dismissed them straight away but I wasn't entirely convinced at that point. Anyway the news I have is mainly with focussing but with my preliminary tests in the shop the camera had no problem focussing at all distances which was a relief.

I took a few shots in the shop but due to it's size could not get one focussed at full zoom as it was just a very small shop surrounded by glass. However the shot I have at 9x looked fine on the LCD screen but this is not indicative since it's not a full zoom and the LCD wouldn't really show ant potential vignetting or CA.

The story is thatI will continue wait for it to arrive and I'll perform some thorough tests and submit them here for your opinions.

I figure it will arrive by next week so watch this space.

Best

Overexposed

Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the update. Let me make one more recommendation. The dcr1850 is a pretty good sized tele - about the same as the tcon17. The fz5 adapter has about 1mm or so of unnecessary/unthreaded plastic at the front that interferes with a secure connection with any threaded add-on includinga step down ring. It is best to remove that 1mm or soby rubbing the adapter against fine grit sandpaper placed on a hard, flat, horizontal surface. Many including myself have performed this simple operation. Just be careful not to remove to much plastic.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:51 AM   #6

Thanks again fmoore for the pointer, I had considered this might be the case when I set my eyes on the beast in the flesh yesterday in the shop. The ebay seller contacted me this morning and told me the lens should be here by the weekend so hopefully will get a few hours to experiment ready for a post on monday - fingers crossed.