Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

Just got my hands on a Vivitar 285HV (what a beast!), and have started experimenting with it a little on my FZ20. If the external flash locks the aperture at F2.8, isn't it almost always going to produce overexposed images? I was under the impression that a flash would allow higher apertures and slower shutter speeds to be used.

It seems that in any moderately lit room, I'm getting overexposed photos, with almost all the various intensity settings on the Vivitar. Just curious how the rest of your control your external flashes with the locked aperture.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

Set EXT.FLASH to MANUAL, then use Aperture-priority to set your desired aperture. The shutter speed will remain at 1/60s though, and to fix this you have to go to Manual Exposure (where the limit is 1/250s). At this point you hit The Bug That Panasonic Never Speaks Of, and you find your screen goes dark. Often Aperture priority is enough though, and it works properly, at least on my FZ10.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:07 AM   #3

No, even in Aperture Priority mode, the aperture is fixed at F2.8. Only if you disable the external flash (using the dial button) can you change the aperture. And if you turn the external flash setting back on, it resets the aperture to F2.8.

???
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:18 AM   #4

Hi. It may help to do what the manual describes on page 79 (select MANUAL instead of PRESET) :blah:. Regards Johan
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:19 AM   #5

Hi. It may help to do what the manual describes on page 79 (select MANUAL instead of PRESET) :blah:. Regards Johan
Attached Images

Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:45 PM   #6

Beautiful, thanks
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Quoted : anomaly
Quote:
At this point you hit The Bug That Panasonic Never Speaks Of, and you find your screen goes dark.

I agree on your statement regarding Panasonic's wish of keeping quiet over the bug. Do you think if we write a petition and get all Pana FZ' series owner to sign on it, they will create a firmware to fix this??

Man and I was hoping a full manual controls over the flash. Sticking to 1/250 doesnt really help when you have a flash (also set at M) firing at full power unwittingly.

jaypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:39 AM   #8

jaypeg wrote:
Quote:
Do you think if we write a petition and get all Pana FZ' series owner to sign on it, they will create a firmware to fix this??
This has been discussed before at some length. I believe there is no chance at all that Panasonic will offer updated firmware for FZ10 and FZ20 owners to address this bug.

On the other hand, I intend to upgrade to a FZ30 for Christmas (the FZ30 solves enough of the little problems of the FZ10 to make it worthwhile, especially the slow startup time), and it may be fixed there. If anyone knows for sure, please let me (us) know!

Quote:
Man and I was hoping a full manual controls over the flash. Sticking to 1/250 doesnt really help when you have a flash (also set at M) firing at full power unwittingly.
It's just hard to use a dumb external flash at the best of times. I was hoping the FZ30 would introduce a smart external flash option.

BTW, setting to 1/250s isn't for limiting the brightness of the flash (its duration is much less than 1/250s), it's to limit the blurring effect of excess ambient light.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:00 AM   #9

Respected Sir

I m palnning to buy FZ 20.And I want to know whether my Vivitar 285 HV will work with it properly. Can u advice me in this matter,so that I can decide whether to purchase it or not.

Thanking u in anticipation.

Anand

my email id is [email protected]
nitesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:37 AM   #10

This has been discussed befor and maybe someone here remembers the correct answer.

I know it comes down to where the flash was made.

they were made in 2 countries one is the newer version and is safe the other is not, the trigger voltage is too high.

If no one else answers if you Email Vivitar they will give you the exact info.

Or perhaps start a new thread so someone with the answer can reply. My guess is that if the flash is fiarly new its OK.

Or you can check the voltage your self

Heres how

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote