Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:38 AM   #1

Am really into getting myself a FZ5. Needed some help from you experts here in this forum. The program mode such as NightMode, Landscape, Macro and things like that, is using these modes really sufficient to capture the correct event? Or do you really need to learn about aperture values, ISO, Shutter speed to get a more better chance at brilliant pictures?

The FZ20 is not a pro camera is it? And how much different is it to the FZ5? Photography is a subject I really want to pick up with and thinking that I can do much with a new FZ5. I already own a Samsung i5 and it takes nice pictures and excellent videos but i want to learn more about this subject and be able to have some control over my photo taking sessions. Would the FZ5 do it for me? Or FZ20 has more to it for someone like me?

Are these two considered DSLR? Really not sure. Help. !

musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:14 AM   #2

the FZ line of cameras, moreso the FZ20(and the upcoming FZ30) are what I call high-end consumer cameras or like some other people call it prosumer cameras. they're not up to dSLR standards in quality and they're missing what makes a SLR camera what it is: the ability to change lenses.

if you're already thinking in using the camera in Scene mode(P mode is just like an Auto Mode, what you mentioned are Scenes) then I guess the FZ5 would be a better choice than the FZ20. if you want to learn more however, I would recommend the FZ20 as it'll give you the choice of using Manual Focus and an external flash, which you dont have on the FZ5.

about the question of whether using the scene modes is good enough. I haven'ttried them myself as I always shoot in Aperture Priority Mode, but I've heard people say that the Fireworks scence works, so at least one of them works:-)

hope that answers some of your questions
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:04 AM   #3

The only real advantage of the fz5 over the fz20 is size if small size is what your looking for. I have the fz5. The same scene modes are present on both. They set limits and I never use them. I use P mode most of the time but frequently go to A prioity. Macro mode is quite useful for closeups particularly at full 12x zoom (telemacro -fz5 only). The fz20 does have a little more manual control options than the fz5 but the fz5 has plenty to work with. Once again, it comes down to a matter of size.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4

I have the FZ20 and have tried a number of the scene modes. In each scene the camera automatically selects what it considers the best setting for each situation, ISO, aperature and shutter speed. In my opinion, these scene modes do okay, but you can do a much better job if you know your camera and manually select the settings using either aperature priority, shutter priotity or manual. As an example I've used the Sports mode and the camera set the shutter speed at 1/320 sec. At this speed, the shutter was not able to freeze the action as I wanted, going to shutter prority mode and setting shutter speed manually to 1/1000 sec. gave better results.

FZ20 and FZ5 users on this forum love their cameras. The joy of digital is that you can practice your craft by shooting tons of images, experimenting with different settings to find out what works and what doesn't and it will only cost you the price of an SD card. One of the most useful features of digital cameras is the garbage can button. My last word of advice is "read the manual"!
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:47 AM   #5

Narcis Oblivion wrote:
Quote:
I have the FZ20 and have tried a number of the scene modes. In each scene the camera automatically selects what it considers the best setting for each situation, ISO, aperature and shutter speed. In my opinion, these scene modes do okay, but you can do a much better job if you know your camera and manually select the settings using either aperature priority, shutter priotity or manual. As an example I've used the Sports mode and the camera set the shutter speed at 1/320 sec. At this speed, the shutter was not able to freeze the action as I wanted, going to shutter prority mode and setting shutter speed manually to 1/1000 sec. gave better results.

FZ20 and FZ5 users on this forum love their cameras. The joy of digital is that you can practice your craft by shooting tons of images, experimenting with different settings to find out what works and what doesn't and it will only cost you the price of an SD card. One of the most useful features of digital cameras is the garbage can button. My last word of advice is "read the manual"!
Hi Narcis, fmoore, max pain,

thanks for all your replies. Thats what i was thinking. A person has to know his camera using Aperture and shutter priorities. I just dont get this aperture part. Dont understand what it is. What does it mean when someone says "depth of field"?

Yeah i know how much owners of Panasonic loves their cameras cause its really one of the most insteresting forums as compared to the other manufactures sub forums. Yeah as soon as I get enough $$$, i'll go for either one. FZ5 or FZ20.

digital does have lots of advantages. and yes the trash button is probably the best when u just want to try it again and again in learning to use your camera. thank u all a lot. Will share lots and lots of pictures when I get my new camera.

But if someone could give just a small brief information on aperture. It would be helpful.
arvind sachdev
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:32 AM   #6

Google search aperture. Here is an early hit that also explains dof. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...r/aperture.htm
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:46 AM   #7

Here are definitions taken from Steve's Digital Dictionary:

Aperture: The lens opening formed by the iris diaphragm inside the lens.

Depth of Field: (DOF) The range of sharp focus. Controlled by the focal length and the aperture opening of the lens. A larger aperture yields shallow depth of field. Smaller aperture yields deeper DOF.

Larger aperture, smaller number ie 2.8
Smaller aperture, larger number ie 8

The FZ20 has aperture settings ranging from a minmum of 2.8 to a maximum of 8.0
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:24 AM   #8

Guys,

thank you for your replies. Awesome forum. learned a lot from the included links.

arvind sachdev