Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi All, I've been playing around with my +4 close up lens on my FZ20. Managed to get close to this Bee, Comment's Welcomed.

Many Thank's Tony
Tony 275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:56 PM   #2

Very good shot. It's a tad on the dark side IMO, but it's quite sharp. Was this cropped?

It can be difficult to get enough light into the scene when you're only inches away. How far away were you while taking this?
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:21 PM   #3

sprocket87No it's not cropped just resized for this site, I was about 8 inch away at full zoom.

Tony
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:28 PM   #4

It's really nice picture, but I don't really like this "smudge" effect on the sides and corners of this photo. This probably is because your lens is sharp only in the center, becoming softer on the edges. What's that lens that you are using?
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

Nice shot! Good sharp focus takes some practice at such close range and you got it. It is a little underexposed. The shutter was 1/400s. A different metering could have slowed that a little to brighten it. That is something else to practice - meter on a darker spot like the black head, lock focus/exposure, and reframe. Also, this was taken at f4. By going to aperture prioity and setting it to f8 you will increase the depth of field a bit. If there is sufficient light as there appears to have been here, I usually go to f8 to get the max dof.

Quote:
It's really nice picture, but I don't really like this "smudge" effect on the sides and corners of this photo. This probably is because your lens is sharp only in the center, becoming softer on the edges. What's that lens that you are using?
This does appear to be a single element lens which would cause the soft corners. Ahigher quality dual element lens such as the nikon 4t or 6t would give better corners and perhaps a better overall image quality.

Fred

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6

CerambyX wrote:
Quote:

CerambyXIt's a +4 Close up lens no named brand, I picked it up at a carboot for £3 Thought for that price it was worth a try.

Tony
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:53 PM   #7

fmooreYour advice is very much appreciated I will Try what you sugest about f8. Yes it is a cheap lens but It's good enough for me to practice with and maybe at a later date I'll pick up a canon T6 They seem to be the fav for the FZ20.

Thanks Again Tony
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:15 PM   #8

I'll say - it did really good job for a 3 pound lens :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:29 PM   #9

Tony 275 wrote:
Quote:
Yes it is a cheap lens but It's good enough for me to practice with and maybe at a later date I'll pick up a canon T6 They seem to be the fav for the FZ20.
That's exactly what I started out with - a cheap closeup set - and got much valuable use from it. The benefit ofa dual element lens such as the nikon 6t (not canon T6) is the two optics work together to flatten the focus to the edges. Thecheaper single element lens are sharp only in the center.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:57 PM   #10

fmooreSorry i meant Nikon not canon,It's friday night here and i've had a drink or 2 was reading another page about a canon and got confused LOL well that's my escuse and i'm sticking to it.

Thanks again Tony