Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1

I've decided that I want to purchase the FZ5 - the positives seem to outweigh the negatives despite the common complaint regarding high noise level. The Canon S2 seems like a great camera but it's too big for me, plus I don't care too much for AA batteries.

Anyway, I found one merchant online selling the FZ5 for $388 (plus $12 for 2 day FED EX shipping). But, the deal on Amazon.com sounds hard to beat as their return policy seem pretty lax. With that said, for those of you who shopped on Amazon, how has your experience been?

Thanks.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:23 AM   #2

I bought a Konica/Minolta Z3 from Amazon. The transaction went smoothly. The item might not go out the same day sometimes if you ordered on "heavy" days but without priority shipping.
hfc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:12 AM   #3

I got the fz20 from Amazon and ended up returning it. I played with it for three weeks or so and decided it was just too big for my fz1 hands and mindset. Nothing was "wrong" with the camera. They honored their 30-day no penalty return policy without a hitch. Everything went very smoothly. I ended up getting the fz5 6 months later. It fits my fz1 hands and mindset perfectly. You will love the fz5.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:49 PM   #4

I bought my wife's LZ2 from them, no problems at all, quick delivery. Never had to deal with any returns with any of my Amazon purchases so I cannot comment on that.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:30 PM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
I got the fz20 from Amazon and ended up returning it. I played with it for three weeks or so and decided it was just too big for my fz1 hands and mindset. Nothing was "wrong" with the camera. They honored their 30-day no penalty return policy without a hitch. Everything went very smoothly. I ended up getting the fz5 6 months later. It fits my fz1 hands and mindset perfectly. You will love the fz5.
Fmoore,

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:34 PM   #6

I got my Fz-20 for $420.00 from an Amazon merchant. Flawless transaction.

I opted to buy a Refurbished one and I am glad I did. It was identical to my brother's brand new one, except for the refurb sticker at the bottom. Same warranty, etc.

Have had it for a couple of months now, no problems.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:57 AM   #7

Cant wait for the day the Samsung digimax pro 815 w/15x optical zoom shows up on Amazon!

I would love to take it for a 29 day test ride! :-)

and then perhaps keep it.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:19 PM   #8

Thanks for your responses. Here is the deal, I was about to place an order with very reputable camera store that's located in Seattle, WA, however, after having asked one of the camera "experts" regarding the FZ5's capabilities, specifically in reference to taking action shots (sports, birds), the person told me I would be disappointed if I'm expecting it to produce crisp shots, especially at the full zoom level. He went on to say that even if you are standing still and employing the OIS to take shots of moving subjects, the pictures mostly won't come out clear. Basically, he concludes, all ultrazoom cameras in this range (FWIW, theguy owns an S2 and says heoften struggles with taking action shots at full zoom)aren't capable of taking sharp pictures that you normally would find in a $2K camera like the Canon Rebel.With all that said, it's a bitdepressing. I know I wasn't expecting "National Geographic" quality shots, norprofessional NFL shots, but to hear that even if you're taking pictures of non action sports shots, like people and cars,for the most part, the camera won't deliver sharp pictures, is a bit of a let down.

Bottom line is, I still am leaning towards the FZ5 but given that they will charge a restocking fee if I want to return it, wouldn't I be a lot better off ordering it through Amazon.com? Which by the way, where does it state on their website that the return policy is good up to 90 days?

Thanks all,

Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:58 PM   #9

Amazon return policy is 30 days. Open and use as little as possible. Get another sd card (at least 256mb) for testing - the 8mb that comes with the camera is useless. Your "expert" is full of baloney. Daylight sports shots are fine at full zoom with the fz5. Low light/indoor shotsare another matter.

FZ5 at 12x More at http://www.ishots.net/fz5/fzbaseball/l

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:30 PM   #10

Nice shots! I'm assuming you didn't use any tripodor monopod. Man, I would be more than content if my pictures came out like yours. Color, including people's flesh tones, all seem natural. I don't see any noticeable noise that some people have mentioned. Were they all taken using the auto or P mode? There was another member in this forum who posted some sample baseball shots too, and they all looked great. Well, thanks for sharing! Now I really want this camera! The sales guy who I dealt with today made it sound like this camera will fall short over 90% of the time if attempting to shoot action shots. The thing is, he did state that their store have sold more Canons than any other brands; at the same time, did say the FZ5 was a strongseller.