Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:41 AM   #1

I bought a FZ 2 here in England only 2 months ago , felt very pleased it was one of 3 left on a camera dealers shelf and he sold them off cheap £199, Only thing is do i open the box and start using it or sell it and buy the latest FZ 5 ? Think maybe 2 mp will be a little low ? or how about the new Sony H1 or Cannon s2 ? Also if i sell the FZ 2 What is it worth say on E BAY Uk ? thanks for any advise .
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:55 AM   #2

The FZ 2 is a great camera , in fact the FZ1 is the camera that started me with the FZ line. It takes fantastic pictures that while only 2 megepixels are very detailed.

Unless you have a special need for more pixels I would keep the camera.

To my eye ,on a computer screen, I can not tell the difference in photos from cameras costing much more.

There have been quite a few people with FZ20's that are buying the FZ1 as a backup camera.

They recently sold for $179.00 US new, closeouts I guess.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:28 AM   #3

If you are interested in infrared photography, keep it by all means. The fz1/2 is the only fz series camera and one of the very few of any makewith image stabilization that is senstive enough to infrared light for decent ir work. I have the fz5 and it is my main squeeze. I keptmy fz1v2 (fz1 upgraded to fz2) strictly for ir work but it is an excellent camera for all sorts of things. A classic! Keep it!
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4

Keep! As fmoore said, the FZ1/FZ2 is very good at infrared phtography. Get a Hoya R72 fitler. Aso, the FZ1/FZ2 can be a lifesaver if something happens to your higher MP ultra zoom camera fails or breaks while on vacation.

I was on a cruise to the Yuccatan back in September when Hurricane Ivan was heading for the same place. The ship had to go to the east side while Ivan was on the west sde.

While I was touring the Chichen Itza (not Chicken Pizza pyramid (the famous Mayan pyramid), it came a downpour of rain. This was NO place to hide and all I could do was cover my FZ20 with my hands. Well, it got soaked and stopped working. For the rest of the cruise, I used my FZ1v2. So, I still got great pictures.

Three days later when the cruise was over, I tried the FZ20 again, and guess what? It worked!!! It had completely dried out. The FZ20 has been working perfectly since. What a miracle.

Lesson learned: Always carry a big ziplock baggie when you are out with your camera.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:38 AM   #5

Thank you all for your views , just wondered how much better the FZ5 or other 5 mp cameras are , thought it might sell better if i didnt open the box if for a bit more money would buy a better camera with the money from selling the FZ2 ?
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:36 PM   #6

Take a look at the reviews of the Canon S2 IS, Sony H1, and FZ5 on DPR. the camera that comes the closest to the FZ5 in image detail is the Sony. DPR uses the FZ5/FZ20 as the standard in image detail when comparing 5MP ultra zoom cameras.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:37 AM   #7

I would say keep. I have both the FZ1v2 and the FZ10 and I just can't "dump it". The 2MP is more than sufficient for 8X10 prints and if you learn to use an interpolation program such as Genuine Fractals you can make the FZ2 shine even more. Just as everyone said, the infrared capabilities of this camera itself has influenced me in keeping the camera around. The FZ5 is a fine camera as well. If you have the extra money and memory you could go this way. The FZ5 currently has the fastest Autofocus of all the FZ line of cameras (unless the FZ30 is out) and I mean FAST. The lens in a little slower on the telephoto end though.
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:28 PM   #8

genece wrote:
I agree
Quote:
The FZ 2 is a great camera , in fact the FZ1 is the camera that started me with the FZ line. It takes fantastic pictures that while only 2 megepixels are very detailed.

Unless you have a special need for more pixels I would keep the camera.

To my eye ,on a computer screen, I can not tell the difference in photos from cameras costing much more.

There have been quite a few people with FZ20's that are buying the FZ1 as a backup camera.

They recently sold for $179.00 US new, closeouts I guess.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote