Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

Low light gain up! High noise! Stick with a FZ 20 or a DSLR.
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:32 PM   #2

Link: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...c_fz30-review/

It is so close to my perfect camera, if only it had a 5 or 6 megapixel sensor on it, I would buy it without hesitation (assuming that they noise levels would be lower). Now I am not sure what to do...

blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

Basically, it has every improvement wished for over the FZ20, except for the noise. The reviewer really centered in on the noise issue. What did anyone expect form a 8 MP, 1/1.8 CCD?

All in all, very tempted to upgrade, but my 20 is a great camera that does what I need it to, and a whole lot more!!!
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:39 PM   #4

I'm still more than happy with my FZ10. With the 4 megapix CCD the high speed burst mode is better and the noise levels are lower than the FZ30 and are equal to if not lower than the FZ20. With the money I've invested in accessories like filters, conversion lenses and batteries (which won't fit the FZ30), the improvements are still not enough to make me upgrade.
DunlopKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:58 PM   #5

The FZ 30 has RAW option. I am told that "noise" is not an issue for those who shoot in RAW.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:00 PM   #6

Austintatious wrote:
Quote:
The FZ 30 has RAW option. I am told that "noise" is not an issue for those who shoot in RAW.

You were told wrong. It's still there - you might have more flexibility in post processing, but it doesn't solve the issue.

I posted my thoughts on this cam over on DCR forums. Basically, perfect in every way but the noise. I would still gladly take it over my FZ20, because the FZ20's noise levels aren't much better, but the FZ30 improves in almost every other way.

It's really too bad an almost perfect camera had to be shoved out the door with such an obvious flaw.
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:35 PM   #7

Perfect in every way except one...........IMAGE QUALITY:G
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:34 PM   #8

Panasonicisalsonotsupplying any software that can understand the RAW format to do post proccessing.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:40 PM   #9

Jeff specifically said in his review on DCResource.com that there will be RAW processing software available later, presumably with the camera's release:
Quote:
The camera supports the RAW image format, but Panasonic doesn't give you any software to take advantage of the format -- you can only convert them to JPEG format. A Panasonic source tells me that another option will be available this Fall.
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:53 PM   #10

sprocket87 wrote:
Quote:
...presumably with the camera's release:
The camera has already been released. Some stores here in Canada already have it in stock.