Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:56 PM   #1

many problems found with the camera, basically lists a litany of complaints. Now, I'm starting to feel a little reserved about getting it.I hate the fact that other people's negative opinions can have an influence on my positive outlook on getting things, in this case the FZ5. I still want to test the camera out myself and draw my own conclusion whether it's a keeper. But the problems that this reviewer laid out got me thinking, are there 'real' issues that I should expect? I don't think the noise issue isan issue at all, judging by the daytime action pictures taken by a Panasonic user, fmoore, they more than meet my expecation of the camera.
If after trying out the camera at a local store and it meets my satisfaction, I will probably opt to order it from Amazon.com. Can't beat their no hassle 30 day return policy.

Well, please follow link and let me know what you guys think, especially those who actually own the FZ5.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinion_text.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcfz5&amp ;opinion=27910

John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:02 PM   #2

Settings - settings - settings?

I wonder what size he's capturing in?

Apart from that, I can't offer any suggestion -- have never even seen an FZ5.

He might also have a Friday machine.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:53 AM   #3

I have an FZ10 and the FZ5 has some circuitry advances over it, but the FZ5 also squeezes more pixels onto the same size sensor. Though these factors could push the issue one way or the other, I think the two cameras would be close.

My experience with the FZ10 is that it takes great outdoor photos, but indoor photos are problematic (very noisy). This is partially because auto mode will pick ISO200 for indoor shots and partially because low light areas are always somewhat noisy no matter which ISO setting I use.

I recommend you only use 200 and above for those shots you just have to get, quality be damned. Sometimes you can clean them up later so they are acceptable. I've never taken a usable picture with ISO400.

A better solution for noisy indoor shots is to buy an external flash and fix your sensitivity at ISO100 or less. Cameras without a hot-shoe can be used with a slave flash.

Similarly, the solution to noise in shadowy areas of outdoor shots is to pick your shots and use the available light. Noise in properly exposed outdoor photos can still be found if you look at them with 100% magnification on your PC, but won't be visible in prints.

As for this guy with his thumbs down review, he doesn't give enough detail for us to know what went wrong. I'm guessing he's trying to take high ISO pictures in low light conditions then discovers they aren't much to write home about. You need a DSLR to beat that combo.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:08 AM   #4

The Fz5 was my first non-point and shoot camera and overall, I think it is the best camera made for the money. I also have the Fz20 which is a fantastic camera, but the Fz5 is light weight, easy to handle and change to teleconverter or macro lenses, and is the camera I carry with me every place I go. I hope you try it. You will like it.
oprakitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5

Getoff the fence, John Boy. The FZ5 is a great camera. Stop with the dilly-dallying and find out for yourself. Another good no-penalty return option is Ritz Camera - 10 days. Stop by one of their stores and see if they have one.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6

If you decide against the FZ5, what camera would you consider? And what would be the pros and cons of this purchase? I doubt that there is THE perfect non dSLR digi-cam out there. If there is I would like to know what people think it is. For me the closest thing is my FZ.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:17 PM   #7

THe lumix is a great camera. Small and lightweight yet capable of taking MANY hi quality pictures from a single battery. Often the best shots are the ones you miss because carrying the camera is a chore - this camera elimimates that problem.

It has enough settings for the experienced person yet the auto settings are quite capable while the auto-focus is outstanding in both speed and sharpness.
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:54 PM   #8

The only complaint I have about my FZ5 is that it shows what a poor photographer I am. When all I had was p&s cameras, I blamed the camera...

The FZ5 is good enough to show that I need more practice and definately need to spend more time learning post-processing in CS.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:39 PM   #9

Took your advice, fmoore, purchased it from Ritz today. As stated, I have 10 days to return it and will probably do so a lot sooner since I plan on buying from Amazon.com if all goes well with the camera.

I hope to post some pictures sometime this weekend.

Thanks.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:27 AM   #10

John Boy wrote:
Quote:
Took your advice, fmoore, purchased it from Ritz today. As stated, I have 10 days to return it and will probably do so a lot sooner since I plan on buying from Amazon.com if all goes well with the camera.
Did you just say that you will cheat a well-respected store like B&H with an unwarranted return so that you can save a few bucks?

When you steal from a retailer, who do you think will ultimately pay for your dishonesty?

Try doing the right thing, it will astonish some people, and gratify the rest...
jhrosier is offline   Reply With Quote