Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:20 AM   #1

I've had my FZ20 since March. I like the camera but am having problems with shadowing that appears to be from flash blocking by the lens tube at the bottom of my flash shots. When I first got the camera and discovered the problem, I called support, explained the problem and pointed out the fact the problem isnot just with the flash on the camera, but with my Sunpak 383 on the hot-shoe. Iwas essentially told - tough, buy an external flash [indicating to me how much this jerk listened to the problem], and most rudely at that. After telling that moron to go to ****, I hung up without getting a reasonable answer and certainly no help with the problem. I'm still so steamed it's hard to post what I really thing about this kind of support turd and unfortunately, have little good to say about the camera to others, simply teling them about the problem and how I was treated by support. This camera was expensive then, running over $600. I, at the very least, expect courtesy when I simply ask a reasonable question. For sure, I will never buy another Panasonic Camera.

That said, I still have the problem. This is a trememdous disappointment to me when I shot indoors. I've gotten to the point now that I just frame the subject to compensate for the shadow and lose the bottom of the image when I download it.

Does anyone have a possible solution for this?

Thanks.
SteveAikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2

When you shoot with your flash, is your lens hood on? Having the lens hood attached when taking a flash shot will produce a shadow on the bottom of your image, which is caused by the flash catching the top petal of the lens hood. Take the lens hood off for flash photography, this is documented in the manual.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3

Nope - lens hood isn't on the camera. I have a UV filter on for daytime shooting and to protect the lens but I even take it off for indoor shots. I'm just stumped.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:20 AM   #4

I see no shadow when using the 383 ..but unless I zoom a bit I do with the built in flash.

You can get around it by removing the hood and the adapter tube.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5

Steve, how about posting an image so we can see what kind of shadowing your talking about. It might give forum members a chance to respond with some theories.
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
I see no shadow when using the 383 ..but unless I zoom a bit I do with the built in flash.

You can get around it by removing the hood and the adapter tube.

Man, I've read and read the manual and never saw - or maybe it just didn't register - that the adapter tube came off easily.

That may just be the answer. I'll sure try it out, and soon. This has been the only real frustration I've had with this camera.

I shoulda asked here earlier but as I said, pana's support moron really soured me on the camera and I guess I really didn't expect much more from anyone else.

My apologies to the forum. And certainly, my thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:54 AM   #7

Narcis Oblivion wrote:
Quote:
Steve, how about posting an image so we can see what kind of shadowing your talking about. It might give forum members a chance to respond with some theories.
Here's a link to one of them. This one's not so bad because it's so light in the room already. I dumped most ot the really bad ones.

The worst come from indoors at anything more than 10 feet. My PowerShot A40 with the built-in flash beats this hands down. Hardly impressive for such a high quality camera.

http://nmpcs.com/images/P1010685.JPG
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:13 PM   #8

That is a hard photo to tell by I see the flash does not seem to be reaching part of the photo, but I can not tell if its a shadow.

You know that the adapter also effects the focus assist lamp.

But move back and zoom just a bit.

Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 1:20 PM   #9

genece wrote:
Quote:
That is a hard photo to tell by I see the flash does not seem to be reaching part of the photo, but I can not tell if its a shadow.

You know that the adapter also effects the focus assist lamp.

But move back and zoom just a bit.

I didn't really know that. This is just one of several in that group - I did move back and zoom in some and it did help some but that isn't the way I should have to take shots - and don't using any of my older cameras. When you can't get back further, the problem is still there and as I said above, I still have to frame the subject so I can chop the bottom of the picture without losing the subject of the shots.

We'll see how things work out with the adapter removed and I'll let you guys know.

I appreciate your help.