Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2005, 7:06 AM   #11

Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
seemolf wrote:
Quote:
Frustrating: haven´t got the skills and the beetles.
We have some similar beetles here in Germany, for example the "Dünen-Sandlaufkäfer" Cicindela maritima. Youcan find them in the dunes on the coast of the baltic sea. Right before your front door.
Seems to me that photographers take a special interest in knowing the scientific names of every species on earth. Or have we gone to the moon yet with those 12x zooming??? :?
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 7:56 AM   #12

musicarvind wrote:
Quote:
Seems to me that photographers take a special interest in knowing the scientific names of every species on earth. Or have we gone to the moon yet with those 12x zooming??? :?
If you are interested in insects you have to deal with the scientific names. If I talked about a Dünen-Sandlaufkäfer, you would have no idea of what I mean. Even if I told a German about a Dünen-Sandlaufkäfer, he wouldn't know exactly what I'm talking about, because some call Cicindela maritima a Dünen-Sandlaufkäfer,some call Cicindela hybrida a Dünen-Sandlaufkäfer, some call Cicindela hybridaa Brauner Sandlaufkäfer, and some call Cidindela maritima a Meeresstrand-Sandlaufkäfer.

But there's exactly one species called Cicindela maritima and every person in the whole world will know what I mean (after typing it in google :-)).
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:43 AM   #13

Stoney79 is absolutely right! Scientfic names are the same in every corner of the world and no matter do you speak in their language or no, everybody will understand what you are speaking about if only he knows the scientific names :-)

And speaking about tiger beetles: Stoney79 is again absolutely right about the distribution of them. We also have Cicindela maritima only in the dunes of coast of Baltic sea. And this is the only species I have photographed. :roll:
Other species also inhabit sandy places - sandy roads, banks of rivers, lakes etc., dry meadow etc. But if you want to find them - usually it has to be warm, sunny day - than they are more active.
Unlucky we don't have such beautiful species here as tchuanye has, but still I love the green ones (C.campestirs, C.germanica) :-)

Probably we should have some 10 posts of tiger beetle pictures after all this sea of information about them :G
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:14 AM   #14

Thanks for the information.
I appreciate the latin names!
Now I will search, find and compare them.
sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:39 AM   #15

These are outstanding! I enjoy your work! Color and clarity in #1 is fantastic!Very nice captures and well worth your time and patience. bentleysmom http://bentleysmom.smugmug.com
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:23 AM   #16

While I appreciate that you guys\know their names, I just love the pics!

{:+D

~ Joe
nojustice is offline   Reply With Quote