Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:54 AM   #1

What's your opinion or what are your feelings about the "NOISE" story:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

Jan
vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:28 PM   #2

No real surprises from what I'd already read in the press releases and previews. Predictable higher noise levels. Too bad, but it was going to be a bit of a breakthrough if they (noise levels) were under control. Still a great walk around camera under lots of light, but when shooting under lower light levels, and wanting clean results, it's going to be tough just like the earlier FZ's. They've improved some of the features, lcd gain up, zoom ring, command dials for aperture and shutter, and the flip down lcd. All of this is good news, but the price is comparable to a dslr now. In Canada, the FZ30 will probably be close to $1000. That should make a lot of people have another look at the option of switching to a dslr. I made the switch and am glad I did. I was hoping that the FZ30 would break through the noise levels problem, but I guess that just can't be achieved at this point at the technical end of things. I really thought they'd go to a 2/3 size sensor, but maybe they just couldn't achieve it without having an even bigger lens. All that said, it is a very good camera with outstanding features - just be sure to have a good noise removal program if you like shooting in low light. Just my 2 cents.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:07 PM   #3

No different than what they said about the FZ1 - 10 -20- 5 same thing.

Give the folks that are getting it to post some photos and see what you think then.

I believe it will be the best ultra zoom available.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:17 PM   #4

I've pasted together strips from Jeff's site of the night shot with the FZ20 and FZ30 at different ISO's. All the strips have been adjusted to have the identical pixel content for proper comparison. You judge:
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:19 PM   #5

The new FZ30 lens does exhibit more purple fringing as you can see in this comparison:
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:07 PM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
No different than what they said about the FZ1 - 10 -20- 5 same thing.

Give the folks that are getting it to post some photos and see what you think then.

I believe it will be the best ultra zoom available.
I agree with Gene. (Except for me the best ultrazoom is the fz5forits size.) The fz30 has about the same noise levels as the other fz series and I find that acceptable. I do wish they would start reducing nosie so as to allow for higher iso's but for now increased megapixels and zoom seem to be running the show.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:24 PM   #7

I agree with Fred and Gene on this - to me the noise is about the same on the FZ30 as on the FZ20 - except that I think at ISO80 there seems to be less on the FZ30. I wonder why they could not provide an ISO50 ?

A point to remember is that the FZ's have less noise with all of the in camera settings set to low, the FZ10 that I have is a prime example of that. Now from re-collection most reviewers have the camera usually set to the default settings and if you carefully check the Pana manual even they recommend the low settings to reduce the amount of noise in a pic. The other thing to remember is that these are jpg files that have had in-cam compression and other tweeks done to them. I would like to have seen the rewiew of the FZ30 at DCR only posted when they could compare what kind of results you could get with the RAW files.

I've posted a pretty good link on a previous thread that you should read if your concerned about noise ( it refers to the Digilux2/LC1) and how much better the results can be if you use the RAW file instead of jpg.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

I have to agree with Hirsohi on the purple fringing - its a wee bit too obvious and it didnt exist in the FZ20 but there is more detail in the FZ30 pict . On the whole the best FZ cam at the moment has to be the FZ5 !

Cheers

harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote