Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:54 PM   #1

First the positives - the camera performs, as expected, superbly when taking shots, very quick, especially in burst mode for action shots - WOW! I took some pictures of people skateboarding, riding their bike and they all came out great. In bright light setting, human flesh tone (caucasian) came out very good I think though I did see some grainy effect to the tone. I guess this is due to the noise of the camera.

Now the downside of the camera. I found that a lot of my pictures came out soft, some out of focus, grainy inrelatively low cast conditions. I suppose even at full zoom the results can look soft. Please look at the following pictures and you be the judge. Am I expecting too much from this camera? ** I should add that the two pictures were taken using almost the full zoom (I believe the first picture was at full 12X zoom).

Image 1
Attached Images

John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:55 PM   #2

Image 2 (notice how the backgroud, especially the trees, look washed out).
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:02 PM   #3

Image 3 (I was standing still, OIS utilized, selected the sport mode and yet the picture came out poor).
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:04 PM   #4

double post
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:47 PM   #5

Hazy days give hazy photos. Fishing boat in haze at full zoom looks good. Sailboat (also hazy) and trees not so good but might be expected in haze. Bird - fz5 is focused on the background. FZ5 idiosycrancy. Not uncommon. Focus slightly in front of or at the feet of the bird. Takes some practice and alot of shots.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:10 PM   #6

Appreciate it. Even though I'm not 100% sold on the FZ5, I'm still going to purchase it (too bad Ritz only has it in silver - matter of personal taste, of course; The color I want is black). Considering the vast majority of my pictures will be taken during thedaytime,I'm very confident thatthis camera will deliver for me. And I don't anticipate Panasonic releasing the next generation "FZ5" model anytime soon.

The camera really looks cool and feels comfortable, it doesn't feel "cheap" to me; it's the perfect size given that I don't have big hands. : )

I will keep practicing and look forward to sharing my "amateur" photos with you guys. The real test will be during football season, I can't wait.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:13 PM   #7

As was said it waspretty hazy... and I would use spot focus and meter to get the subjectfocused and metered correctly.

Experiment a little with the various settings,as what works for me may not be best for you.

But do give spot focus and center or spot meter a chance.

And if you try those setting you may find you need to use a minus 1/3 exposure compensation.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:46 PM   #8

What genece said about setting your exposure to -1/3 EV when shooting outdoors is some of the best advice I have gotten from this forum.

I would also turn auto-bracketing on and set the spread at 1/3.

You get 2 benefits from this;
1) Three different exposures to choose from with every shot
2) 3 different chances for your subject to hold still, not blink, etc.

I also leave a UV haze filter permenently attached to my FZ5. If you shoot much at 12x, you will need it. It also protects the lense.

This was taken from my back yard at 12x, he was in the neighors yard...best of 3 exposures, "P" mode
Attached Images

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:36 PM   #9

genece wrote:
Quote:
As was said it waspretty hazy... and I would use spot focus and meter to get the subjectfocused and metered correctly.

Experiment a little with the various settings,as what works for me may not be best for you.

But do give spot focus and center or spot meter a chance.

And if you try those setting you may find you need to use a minus 1/3 exposure compensation.

John Boy,

Hi. Nice to see someone new to the FZ5 posting first hand review on the camera. Well the pictures part at least. After joining this forum, I learned a great deal about photography. I had and still have my 35mm SLR Nikon F60 and realized that what a waste it was not learning more about what the camera can actually do. ! Now that we have moved into the digital age, taking pictures and looking at the outcome (at least on the monitor of a computer) gives us an opportunity to keep on learning and when we reach the higher parts of the curve, we learn to appreciate what we know.
I just have my P&S cameras, the Powershot 230 and Samsung i5 and trying to play with it using all kinds of settings (which we all know are pretty limited), I find that we can really transform how we want the pictures to come out. I am still waiting for some $$$ to go for the FZ20 and trust me, after going through all these forums(particularly the Panasonic forum), I know what I am going to expect from it and its really exciting knowing the fact that I can really "play" with it till I get it right!.

I am really an amatuer to photography but looking at your pictures, I would advice you not to have mixed feelings about it. The haze was there and will always be there. There are many ways of correcting it as genece mentioned, play with the exposure compensation, either ways + or - and look at the differences to the shots. Or take the pic as it is right now and use some Auto color functions on some of the softwares available out there. It might come out looking a lot better. Looking at the bird picture, the cam was not focused at all on the bird!.

The best part of Digital Photography is that we just waste space on the SD cards when we might need that same space on some other pictures. In economics, we call it "Opportunity Cost". But the solution is always the Trash button on the back of the cam!. Have fun.. (definate no no on my Nikon F60 being an awesome camera, if only I could change that cam that I have from film to CCD!)

arvind sachdev..
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote