Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1

Been looking for a companion to my trusty Oly 2020 that has never failed me since I bough it from viewing the pix and reading the review here.Are there any shots from the LX1 that have not been taken with a pre-release of said camera? I know its scheduled for Sept 27 as listed on Amazon but figured there would be some "production" shot pictures by now.Looking for night shots and indoor ones. Yep the ones that push a camera.I have notist the following on some of the shots seen so far.1) Left side any verticle object seemes either bent or at an angle.2) Looks like things are in foccus in the center and go out of foccus as you go near the edge of the photo. Esp on item with in the same focal plane.3) And some noise but not as much as others.I really like the concept of the 16:9, Raw, TIFF, size etc. I discounted the Kodak v550 on way too much compression and why go with it when the FX9 is in the same price range. But looking at both. I ran across the LX1 and my jaw drop at such a small package that does so much! Basically a pocket camera that acts like a full size one!Tnks for any help!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2

I am really looking forward to the LX1 because of its 28mm lens and 8 megapix ccd.
If the image quality of the LX1 is as good or better than the images by Oly 7070/8080, then I'm sold. I hope Panasonic wont let me down.
myfz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 2:20 AM   #3

It has so many intersting features. Can be a pocket camera or a semi-pro from some of its features.Price is fair. How many times you wish you had not only a camera but one that could do more than snap just a photo.The mjpeg for me is much better due to less compression than mpeg 4 that really smashes the data down.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:46 AM   #4

I found 1 sample from a Jap review site:

http://ad.impress.co.jp/special/lumi...s/P1040031.JPG

I feel it's rather noisy.

Have you considered the downgrade to 38mm wide, and to 5MP, when using 4:3 mode? 16:9 is good, but not for all scenes, especially in portrait mode (vs landscape).

I got a Kodak v550. And don't feel the compression is loosing any details yet. Maybe Kodak has got a very efficient jpeg algorithm.

And that M-JPEG may be even more "blocky" or "grainy" than MPEG-4, imho.
I've taken movies on the same subjects/conditions using MJPEG & MPEG-4 DC respectively. But MPEG-4 (500KB/sec) is a quarter of the filesize of M-JPEG

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:35 PM   #5

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I found 1 sample from a Jap review site:

http://ad.impress.co.jp/special/lumi...s/P1040031.JPG

I feel it's rather noisy.

Have you considered the downgrade to 38mm wide, and to 5MP, when using 4:3 mode? 16:9 is good, but not for all scenes, especially in portrait mode (vs landscape).

I got a Kodak v550. And don't feel the compression is loosing any details yet. Maybe Kodak has got a very efficient jpeg algorithm.

And that M-JPEG may be even more "blocky" or "grainy" than MPEG-4, imho.
I've taken movies on the same subjects/conditions using MJPEG & MPEG-4 DC respectively. But MPEG-4 (500KB/sec) is a quarter of the filesize of M-JPEG

Tnks for the link. Yep. Noisy.

Most of my shots I like to take have or should say, I like a bit of prespective. AKA width to them. Yep did note the reduction in rez for 4:3 shots.

Nothing is cast in concret right now on the LX1. Both FX9 and v550 are still in the running. Like the concept of the IS used by Panasonic over the solid state that eats away at the resolution of the sensor.

Did note a strange thing on the LX1 sample video. Just to the left of the door near the floor there is a bit of flashing. And on the Mpeg4 videos notist a bit of fuzzness on things like lettering.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:23 PM   #6

Maybe if I have an LX-1, I shall just keep using 16:9 mode, and then use image editors to trim them to 4:3 if necessary (instead of letting LX-1 to do it automatically, w/o my control). Yes, I believe the so-called 4:3 mode within a native 16:9 DC is simply a built-in trimming editor.

Does Pana usually post their own samples on their gallery website?

The link I posted is some what "unofficial".

Let's see if the final samples will be less noisy.

BTW have you heard if the LX-1 is Leica or Pana's own lens?
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:54 PM   #7

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Maybe if I have an LX-1, I shall just keep using 16:9 mode, and then use image editors to trim them to 4:3 if necessary (instead of letting LX-1 to do it automatically, w/o my control). Yes, I believe the so-called 4:3 mode within a native 16:9 DC is simply a built-in trimming editor.

Does Pana usually post their own samples on their gallery website?

The link I posted is some what "unofficial".

Let's see if the final samples will be less noisy.

BTW have you heard if the LX-1 is Leica or Pana's own lens?
Yep:
Samples stills are here:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...odels/lx1.html

Video samples are here
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...functions.html
and here
Click on Dynamic Dramatic on the left side. Then pick Supmential. The Japanies Lady out side of the house is another 16:9 video. Cant link since its Javascript.

Yep:
LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT
9 elements in 8 groups (3 Aspherical lenses / 3 Aspherical surfaces)

If you want a shock pull up the video for the FX9! Sheech! Both outstanding shots. The room dancers are a jaw dropper!

That is what I am thinking also. Take everthing in 16:9 and trim if I want to in Photo Shop.

Also went though his review and I gather he enjoyed the camera.

I hope Steve runs it though his list of shots esp the brick building of doom!