Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:27 AM   #11

The two shots of the church are at different times of day and from somewhat different angles. The colour of the bricks is completely different in the two pictures too, so the exposure on one camera might be way off. You can't conclude that one camera is better than the other given just this info.

On the other hand, the result from the FZ30 looks quite nice, whether this is due to the sensor, the noise removal algorithm, or just the angle of the sun. It's proof, at least, that at ISO80 you can take nice shots with it.

I'm warming to the FZ30 again, after the initial shock. Then again, I may go crazy and get a Minolta 5D and a cheap super zoom lens from Sigma. It's a more expensive route, but there's OIS and low noise...
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:46 AM   #12

I'm waiting to see some photos from users too. That 19.3x zoom is mighty tempting... :?
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:46 AM   #13

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
And if anyone is interested in the LTZ10, let me know.
Can this lens mount to the FZ30 with an adapter ring?
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:50 AM   #14

I don't know about other folks here but I hardly ever shoot with my FZ20 in anything but ISO 80 (sometimes 100). 90% of the time, I'm shooting in ISO 80 in Aperture Priority mode and very happy with the results. I guess I have adjusted my shooting style to play off of the FZ20's strengths. For daylight pics the low ISO is perfect. For indoor images (I take a lot of amatuer studio pics for online articles I write) I use my Sunpak 383 and get great results.

I think the thing that makes the FZ20 so great for my purposes is the accurate focus control and the crisp images I can get compared to other cams that have only decent auto focus and manual focus that is too much trouble to use than it's worth.

I really want the FZ30. Mainly for the improvements to the EVF and LCD. Manual zoom is very appealing to me as well. RAW appeals to me too (I'm counting on Panasonic to do a better job of software support for it down the road) but I thought I would shoot a lot in TIFF when I first got the FZ20 and I never do so I'm not sure how much RAW shooting I would actually do. As long as I can get results using the same techniques I have picked up using the FZ20, I will most likely pick up the new 30.

I could see bad ISO 200-400 IQ being a problem for folks shooting outdoors in dawn/dusk with tele and no tripod but that just doesn't fit the kind of pictures I take. If the 80/100 is at least up to par with the FZ20, I'll probably get the 30.

(I'm going to keep the 20 just in case though)
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:40 PM   #15

I have not read all posts here but perhaps no-one has mentioned the Panasonic's own sample pics of this new camera.
You can see them here:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...dels/fz30.html

They seem to be far less noisy than ones seen elsewhere...

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:45 PM   #16

Two galleries posted by Gene on a thread on DCR.

Check these out - some very nice shots from the FZ30. I have nto checked them all or the exif to see what cam settigns were used.

http://fz30.granc.hu/index.php?dir=./vanadu

another group

http://www3.telus.net/Vanadu/

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:52 AM   #17

A great page (Not mine) to show the differences in noise between the FZ20 and the FZ30.

http://members.shaw.ca/iancs4/FZcomparison.htm

Enjoy!
Cleanmaxx Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:37 PM   #18

Thanks Brian for sharing the link....This guy has done some good comparison...
Again...According to me (and I'd be happy if someone proves otherwise....), we should not expect that FZ30 is going to do wonders....
The difference in picture quality aka noisewill be marginal....and lens slower....8 mp crammed on that small ccd is going to show, however better the onboard software might be...
It will be a very difficult choice for average FZ20 user to upgrade...other than people who want upgraded features and higher mps...

and again...I still reserve my final opinion until more of such comparisons come in...The best would be one of the forum members getting FZ30 and dispalying pictures here....
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:43 PM   #19

I hear ya! However you may not know but the CCD in the FZ30 is actually BIGGER than what is in the FZ20. However the pixels are the SAME size...

arunpd wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Brian for sharing the link....This guy has done some good comparison...
Again...According to me (and I'd be happy if someone proves otherwise....), we should not expect that FZ30 is going to do wonders....
The difference in picture quality aka noisewill be marginal....and lens slower....8 mp crammed on that small ccd is going to show, however better the onboard software might be...
It will be a very difficult choice for average FZ20 user to upgrade...other than people who want upgraded features and higher mps...

and again...I still reserve my final opinion until more of such comparisons come in...The best would be one of the forum members getting FZ30 and dispalying pictures here....
Cleanmaxx Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:00 PM   #20

Yes Brian I am aware that the ccd is BIGGER...however, they have increased the number of megapixels too...(more pixels than ccd size...)..
I would have loved 5-6 mp on FZ30 ccd....that would have really improved the images on noise front....I dont think being an 8 megapixel was a very good idea by panasonic....
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote