Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:44 PM   #11

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
You HAVE to do the desaturation in PS.
Nick - The b&w in-camera functionis not as good? Somehow inferior?

- Fred

PS: How are things in Morocco?

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:56 PM   #12

Hi Nick,

Good to see you are still around. Thanks for the comments, they are very much appreciated. I am looking a getting a couple more ND8 filters (ND filters >8 are bloody expensive) so I can start to do long exposures during the day. I figure about 3 ND8 filters should do it! I will keep you up to date on the progress.

Also thanks for all the other comments guys/gals? (you never know with these multiple personalities).

Here is another one that I tried, this time it is of Dunedin harbour on a very still day.

Treemonkey
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:09 PM   #13

Hi monkey,
did you try to cross two polarizers.
I have a pair which makes day to night and even preserves the colours, but you can kill them whenever you want.....
sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:26 PM   #14

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Goldar wrote:
Quote:
You HAVE to do the desaturation in PS.
Nick - The b&w in-camera functionis not as good? Somehow inferior?

- Fred

PS: How are things in Morocco?

Hi Fred...

They do look decent enough in-camera, but the general consensus, and agree, is that you need to do some PS work, and there's more too it than turning off the color. That's why The Image Factory charges a bundle for their black and white conversionplug in. The one byOptikVerve, Virtual Photographer,is just asgood imo.

I would liken it to turning the saturation down on your color TV vs a "true" black and white film... if that makes sense. Just not quite the same.

All is well in Morrocco!

Nick
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:35 PM   #15

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, they are very much appreciated. I am looking a getting a couple more ND8 filters (ND filters >8 are bloody expensive) so I can start to do long exposures during the day. I figure about 3 ND8 filters should do it! I will keep you up to date on the progress.

Treemonkey

Another beauty tree! Exotic filters are almost as expensive as exotic women! (Not that I would know first hand, mind you...) I see you have the black and white bug too. Stay far, far away from black and white film, you might never pick up your FZ again.

I shot a black and white series on the boardwalk... (not sure if you know what that is. It's a slice of "Americana". Coney Island is a "boardwalk". It's miles of wooden boards along the coast line in along the eastern seaboard in the US that has games, arcades, amusement rides, shops... etc)

Anyway, I shot and developed several rolls of Ilford Delta 3200 (fast speed black and white 120 roll film)that I pushed to 6400 iso. I shot them with a 30mm (= 18 mm in 35mm) fisheye... The boardwalk is GREAT for this kind of low-light street photography, esp in black and white.

Like I said, stay far away from those old film cameras if you're drawn to the black and white stuff... I'm addicted.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:44 PM   #16

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
The boardwalk is GREAT for this kind of low-light street photography, esp in black and white.
I'm headed to the Jersey shore (N Wildwood) for a weekand it looks like its going to bekindarainy,ending with a little visit from Katrina. Those rain slick boardswill look prettycool in b&w, especially with that dcr6600. Thanks for the idea.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 4:09 AM   #17

Thanks for the idea, I gave it a go with a linear and a circular and with little effect but with two linear ones there seems to be a point where it does get very dark. I havent had much of a chance to play around yet but it looks like the photos have a blue/purple cast to them (maybe the two polarisers only let through shorter wavelengths?)

Nick, I have no plans on getting into the old style of B&W as the old Pana seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. I actually got a few of the photos printed today and I really like them, maybe its time for me to buy a dedicated B&W printer? When will the expenses end!

Treemonkey

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
Hi monkey,
did you try to cross two polarizers.
I have a pair which makes day to night and even preserves the colours, but you can kill them whenever you want.....
sven
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote