Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:37 PM   #1

Hi,

I am in NZ for a month and have been enjoying the scenery. These photos were taken with a ND8 filter and polarizer, this allowed a longer exposure time and gives the weird effect with the water.

Comments appreciated

Treemonkey

ISO 50, f8 1/5s
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:39 PM   #2

ISO 50, f2.8, 1/4s
Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

Tree

I like the effects on the second shot, looks good to me and its good to have the forum back on line!

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:44 PM   #4

I like the first one though I'd crop out the wave breakingon the beach. Too much knowledge. It's eerier without it. Very nice shot. Did you happen to take one of this without the nd? Just curious how much difference it makes. I know it forces a lower shutter speed which can effect waterfalls and such. Does it effect those mountians in the middle distance? The shutter speed was 1/5s and f8. Handheld? What dictated thef8?

I shouldn't ask this question because the answerusually breaks my heart since no one seems to actually shoot in black & white butprefer toprocess it after the fact. Of course the end result may be the same but it still seems a triffle unworthy of truly being identified as a b&wphoto if it was taken in color.But of course again, didn't all the great b&w photographers process their work after the fact as well. Bla, bla, bla....... So, was the fz20 set to black & white mode?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 8:46 PM   #5

Nice shots...bot of them and nice BW effect....

Just thought that the 2nd one is composed abit too tight.....great nonetheless
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6

So may questions...

Sorry to disappoint fmoore but yes I was taken in color and desaturated in PS. I know this is not the "traditional" way but I would prefer the flexibility in taking it in color. All the ND filter (ND 8 ) does is reduce light by 3 stops, no other effects, so no effect on mountains etc. f8 was used to reduce the amount of light even further, usually under normal light a ND8 filter doesnt have much effect if f2.8 is used. The camera was braced on my knee while kneeling down, so kinda a human tripod.

I have attached the original, in the B&W image I also cloned out the lens flare.

The camera was also a FZ10 not 20, no plan on getting the FZ30 either.

Thanks for the comment arunpd, I will try that next time.

Treemonkey
Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:00 PM   #7

Nice B&Wsand just the right amount of contrast for my taste.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:37 AM   #8

I like the first one. Great shot. However I agree with fmoore about the wave breaking. As soon as I saw the breaking wave it drew my attention towards it and away from the vastness of the 'eerie' lake as fmoore described it in front of the mountains.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I love the black and white effect too. It makes the photo.
DEEV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:40 PM   #9

cool shotz tree:G
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:01 PM   #10

I ->absolutely<- LOVE these, and thanks for sharing the technique you used. I will absolutely try this and I have an ND8 filter for the FZ1. I haven't posted much lately because my FZ-1 lead me to do black and white, which lead me back to film, which lead me totally, emersed, obscessed withblack and white.So, I take black and whites in medium format now, hand develop them, and print them with an enlarger. My FZ1 sees very little action anymore, though you would have to pry it out of my hands.

Anyway, I think I'm developing an "eye" for quality black and white - digital and film. And I think these are tops - among the best I've seen, from a digital P&S. You HAVE to do the desaturation in PS. The ND seems to add, and certainly I love the motion blur of the water.

NickTrop

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote