Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:09 AM   #1

Hi, friends

I got my FZ-20 about 2 months ago and I've loved it ever since. Still learning though. =)

I do outdoor photography about 99% of the time, and lately I've been wanting to expand my creative options. I'm thinking I could have a lot of fun with a wide-angle lens.

Does anyone have any experience with Panasonics wide-angle lens option? The DMW-LWZ10. At $399 online, it seems insanely expensive. I also have 72mm filters which I would want to be compatible with any purchase I make.

Are there any other wide-angle lens options out there that you would recommend?

Or any wide-angle lens comments in general? Perhaps you could show me a few sample shots you've taken with a wide-angle lens, to show me what can be done with one.

Thank you for any input!
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:12 PM   #2

I would suggest doing a search in this forum. I seem to recall some discussion about the Pana converters in the past.

I didn't want to spend that much on a converter. I bought the Raynox .66x converter. It give great results on the FZ20 with the only down side being some minor vignetting in the lower corners, which is easily cropped out. For the cost of this converter and the raynox adaptor, they are a good buy.

Do a search on Raynox in this forum of on wide converter. You'll find sample pictures and discussion.
sosawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:39 PM   #3

The raynox dcr6600pro .66x is an excellent wa lens exhibiting essentially zero barrel distortion. It has 52mm threads and goes for ~$100. It is bestto use it with the raynox rt5264p aluminum adapter designed for the fz10/15/20. The adapter screws on in place of the stock fz20 adapter and accepts 52mm threads. <$20.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:46 PM   #4

There is no lens I know of, either tele or wide (especially wide) that will work correctly with the stock Panasonic adapter.

So you need an adapter or buy the lens options for the FZ10 or 20 from panasonic ...It would be much cheaper to get an adapter and then use lens from other mfgs.

Pick out what lens you want and then choose an appropriate adapter but this one is one size fits all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-CRing-Adapte...QQcmdZViewItem
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:27 PM   #5

I didn't even notice the entire 'Add-on Lenses' forum before, so I apologize if this was misposted.

So after reading around there, and from you guys said, it seems everyone has good things to say about the Raynox .66x adaptor. And at ~$100, it's a huge improvement in price compared to Panasonics wide-angle solution.

Also, my filters are 72mm, so it would be compatible with the Raynox. I guess I found my new toy.

Thanks for all the help.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:54 PM   #6

Two things to consider:

1. Unless you already have a third party lens adapter (NOT the stock adapter) for the fz20, youshould definitely get the raynox rt5264p adapter to attache the dcr6600.

2. The dcr6600 does have 72mm front threads which will accept your 72mm filters but those filters will also cause some vignetting.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:59 AM   #7

I put a 52mm filter between my adapter and the dcr6600 lens and there's a hugh vignetting problem. I borrowed that filter from my old camera.

I was considering buying a 72mm polarizer filter, but now I know that the problem doesn't go away completely. :sad:

RayYong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:29 AM   #8

It's imperative to get the wa lens as close as possible to the camera lens tominimize vignetting, so you defintley do not wantto put a flter (particularly a polarizer which is twice the thickness) between the two.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:44 AM   #9

I have Raynox x0.66 + Raynox adapter. The lens is fine, done some landscape shots- only thing to watch for is that the lens is considerably softer. Unless going for soft look I would strongly recommend using smaller apertures ~7.3, 8, there it is at it sharpest. Vignetting can be an issue, it is there, allow room for some PP edge cropping. I haven't used Panasonic WA lens, so I cannot comment on quality, but Raynox is very reasonable offer, build quality is good, feels solid and of course you can get it for a quarter of what yod'd fork out for Pana lens. Go for it.
And oh! Forgot one thing - if you set FZ20 to WA adapter conversion in conversion menu, you cannot use flash! One of those things...
AusLad is offline   Reply With Quote