Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:29 AM   #1

What mode is best suited for shooting? I'm particuarly confused abuot the 1-area-focusing (high speed) and the regular 1-area-focusing mode. Stupid question, will the high speed mode enable you to take pictures of moving subjects (aka action shot) or should you just use the action mode in the scene dial?
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:54 PM   #2

John Boy wrote:
Quote:
What mode is best suited for shooting? I'm particuarly confused abuot the 1-area-focusing (high speed) and the regular 1-area-focusing mode. Stupid question, will the high speed mode enable you to take pictures of moving subjects (aka action shot) or should you just use the action mode in the scene dial?
Inhigh speed afthere isa slight delay where the subject becomes still when locking focus. Therefore, you lose track of the subject briefly and in an action shot this could prove to be debilitating. Best to use spot focus there, IMO. For action shots I prefer to lock focus ahead of time on a spot where the action will be happening rather than panning the action - ie, moving the camera with the action. Using burst mode will increase your chances of a good shot as well.

For general shooting, I use 3-area high speed. For birding, spot mode.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:03 PM   #3

I tend to leave mine in hi-speed focus mode. It does makes some shots difficult (especially panning) but on the other hand it is great for "snap" shots, where you don't have time to hold down the shutter to pre-focus, you just hit it all the way for the shot.

Play with it a see what you think. When not in hi-speed mode, I use spot focus the most.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:55 PM   #4

Thanks, I will follow your advices. Here are few more pictures I took today. I'd venture to say that over 80% of my shots out of 62 came out decent, very content with the overall results (though some pictures in the background shows a "water paint color" effect when blowing up 100%). A little rant, why is that the software that came with the camera, photobase 4.5 don't show what modes you used? I can't seem to remember what settings I used to take certain shots. To achieve the "Best" results, asa general rule of thumb, should I select natural or vivid mode? Isn't it better to select natural and later post-process it if need be?

Picture 1 (this was taken using the full 12X zoom, the green bracket was on and yet the picture came out of focus - is this typical of the FZ5 to "miss"shots sometimes even if you have the correct setting?).

Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:56 PM   #5

double post.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6

Picture 2 (this is one of my best pictures of the FZ5 - I'm pretty sure I used the heart mode to achieve this).
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:01 AM   #7

Picture 3 (obviously, this picture looks overblown. A few of my other picture have come out like this, too much light reflecting. What did I do wrong?). I believe I lowered the EVF setting to -1/3).
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:35 AM   #8

John Boy wrote:
Quote:
Picture 1 (this was taken using the full 12X zoom, the green bracket was on and yet the picture came out of focus - is this typical of the FZ5 to "miss"shots sometimes even if you have the correct setting?).
It is not uncommon for the fz5 (and ultra zoom cameras in general) to mis-focus at full zoom though this shot is not terribly OOF.
Quote:
Picture 3 (obviously, this picture looks overblown. A few of my other picture have come out like this, too much light reflecting. What did I do wrong?). I believe I lowered the EVF setting to -1/3).

The light reflection off the water could have caused some problem but this was a fairly difficult shot and the ev was set to 0. I generally keep it at -1/3 and probably -2/3 would have helped here.

BTW, I meant to suggest going iso200 for action shots in good light. That will give you faster shutter speed and in good natural sunlight the higher iso will not result in significant increase in noise.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote