Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1

Does anyone have any solution to the noise problem at higher ISOs on the FZ15? On one site I post on I get called on this all the time. My eyes are not so good anymore and I admit I seldom see it but younger eyes do. Have you found any inexpesive way of reducing the noise with the computer or otherwise?
Attached Images

BigTBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:45 PM   #2

Neat Image. and its free
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 9:18 PM   #3

I have used Neat Image for a couple years and think its a fine program but recently I started using Noise Ninja and find it fits me better.

If you do not post photos any larger than that how could anyone see the noise?

The FZ15 is relatively noise free especially for an Ultra zoom, sure it does not compare with a DSLR but its pretty darn good for a $400.00 super zoom.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4

PictureCooler is another freeware program that seems to work pretty well... i've had good results with it for some time...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5

Yes I agree....FZ15 seems to have lower noise....and I am talking with experience....And for remaining noise....I use GIMP which is free image editor which has lot of plugins (everrything is totally free) to remove noise....
One warning tho....if you have not much computer/ software savvy you should not touch this software....it is not very user friendly....It has a big learning curve..
But once you start using it...it is better than photoshop....
arunpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:08 AM   #6

I concur with Squirl. Picture Cooler works well, and you can do batches. thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:21 AM   #7

Thanks all for the info. I will look into them soon. genece: I did not post that pix as an example....just a pix for your entertainment. Most of the ones I got the negative comments on were of ospreys and used the 12x optical zoom. And sometimes I even did some closer cropping which made the situation worse.

I did read a report on the 15 which said that any ISO but the minimum gave unacceptable noise. If the comments I got were on target...then they were correct. Thanks again for the info.
BigTBird is offline   Reply With Quote