Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:37 AM   #1

I was recently at the San Diego Zoo and kept running into trouble trying to take pictures of animals through the cages...the auto focus of the camera kept focusing on the bars of the cage. I used the manual focus setting and got much better pictures, and with the DOF the bars were almost not visible in most of the shots.

Here is an example taken a few seconds apart

seth

Attached Images

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:38 AM   #2

Same shot as above but using manual focus, I also cut out the flash and used natural light.
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3

This is the 2nd shot w/ some minor post processing done to it.

seth
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4

Excellent example shared here on the subject.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:26 PM   #5

Why have you erased vertical stripes on picture #1? Are these supposed to represent bars on the cage, or am I missing something?
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:09 PM   #6

The vertical stripes are the bars in picture #1. using auto focus the camera kept focusing on the bars as opposed to the animal. Hence the use of manual focus, which literraly wiped out the bars from the picture, I guess i have DOF to thank for that.

seth
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:27 PM   #7

On my screen the bars are semi transparent. I can see detail of the background throughout the "bars". I also see circular areas that are the same diameter as the width of the "bars". Looks to me like you used an erase tool to wipe down the picture, but weren't very careful to completely erase the image. I cannot see how the picture that you posted is what you describe. Sorry. Is there any glass involved here? If the "bars" are a reflection, that may explain the anomalies that I see. Still think that you created the bars in PP.
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:40 PM   #8

Unless you have experience in shooting shots like this then I would not be so fast in making a rash assumption. I have experienced the same exact thing that has been posted.

In my case it was a chain link fence between me and a leopard.

I will attest that this is NOT what you assume.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:04 PM   #9

Omega, I don't know why the bars appear transparent. The reason they appear almost white is because they are reflecting the glare from the flash. The second shot was taken a few seconds apart, with no processing of any kind done to it. The only difference between the 2 shots is focus and flash. The 3rd shot is a processed version of the 2nd shot, were I made some minor changes to improve clarity and sharpness.

The only obstruction between me and the animal were those bars, there was no glass, or anything else.

seth
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:48 PM   #10

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Unless you have experience in shooting shots like this then I would not be so fast in making a rash assumption. I have experienced the same exact thing that has been posted.

In my case it was a chain link fence between me and a leopard.

I will attest that this is NOT what you assume.

I had a similar problem with trying to take pics of a batter at home plate thru a screen ofchain link mesh. I tried manual focus on the batter, which got him in nice and sharp, but the chain link was still quite visible.

I have to say that I tend agree with the above comment; it certainly looks like those transparent bars were painted in there. But, I can't imagine why anyone would want to post a hoax on this board; what would be the point? So, I presume the pic is legit. I'd like to see more examples of this. And more explanation of how you do it.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote