Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:12 PM   #1

I've been looking to get a Digital Camera for a long while now, and thanks to this site, I think the Panasonic DMC - LZ2 is the best choice that fits my needs and budget.* *All is well with the camera, and I would like to order it this week.* But there is just one problem... I can't find if it's compatible with my Mac.* *I couldn't find a compatibility list of it at Steve's Digicams, and Panasonic's own site only lists Windows software.* But when I read other reviews and articles on the web from google, I find some that say it WILL work with Mac OSX, and even a few that say it will ONLY work with Mac OS Classic.*I've tried emailing Panasonic, but I can't find an email ANYWHERE on the site.* Only this little electronic form that either erases everything I type before I can submit it, or never LETS me submit it.* *And the one email I did get to go through (to another department at Panasonic), they never responded to.*Does anyone know if it will work with OSX Panther?* And more specifically... 10.3.9?* *Thanks.*
spooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:05 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure that your camera will work with you rMac. I have a Panasonic LC33 and an FZ3, andthe software package that came with both cameras says it will work with Macs. You can also use a card reader and put your SD card into it and plug the card reader directly into a USB slot on your Mac and transfer the pictures that way.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:13 PM   #3

Card readers are the best way to go. They will not use the cameras power. I have a Mac,OS X , the computer will show the card reader as a drive. Double click to open it. You can drag & drop what you want or import everything on the card into iPhoto. Very COOL !!!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:28 PM   #4

Cool.* Maybe I'll look into doing it that way.**Does anyone have any good recommendations on which cards are the best to get?* I'm still quite new to a lot of this, so I value your suggestions.*Thanks!*
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:22 AM   #5

I have been using OSX since it was released and I haven't found a camera yet that iphoto couldn't import. Of course I have always used a card reader. IMO, It is the fastest way to import pictures. Readers are cheap and the OSX operating system can pick them up with the need of third party drivers.
Get a reader, it will be the best investment you can make. Well, maybe Photoshop Elements 3 is the best investment. But, a card reader is a close second.

All the best,
smac

By the way, has anyone else experienced problems repling to posts using the Safari web browser? Every time I try to use Safari the text box that you would reply in is Black. I have not been able to figure out what's going on. It was that way in OS 10.3x and it is still that way in OS 10.4x. Anyone got any thoughts? BTW, I am using IE 5.2.3 to write this post.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:17 AM   #6

I'm using Safari and the box is black for me too.* The text also takes a little time to actually "appear" on screen as well.Anyway... I'll look into the card reader, but can anyone tell me a good brand of SD cards to pick up?* I see Amazon.com has the camera for $239 and comes with 128meg Viking SD Card or the option of using 18.99 towards a higher quality card.Is that a good deal for the camera, and good card to have?Thanks again.*
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:24 AM   #7

Same here. Safari shows a black box. Almost invisible cursor and does not accept enter to form paragraphs.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:31 PM   #8

Same here.* *Can not post photos at all. Steve says that nothing is wrong on his side. He said we must turn on "cookies" .* Did not make a difference for me. Can't use emoticons either. What can we do ???* Please help !!!!!!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:51 PM   #9

I too found that this website doesn't work properly with Safari -- which is annoying. However it's alright with FireFox. Try it!
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:43 PM   #10

I use Safari and post to this forum all the time without the "Black Box" problem - my secret? I changed themes in My Account/Preferences to a theme that eliminated this bug. Until I figured this out I too found the black box very frustrating.

My wife has a 1gb Lexar fast (42x I think card) that has served her well. I do not think 1gb is necessary, 256 or 512 will hold a lot of pics. High speed is nice, but over about 40x and you reach the cameras limit - however you still may benefit from the higher speed cards now available when transferring data via card reader http://www.dealram.com is a great place to price shop.

We have an LZ2 & a FZ20 in our house; we have Mac laptops running OS 10.4 and there are no problems using either camera with the Macs. I do not use most of the Arcsoft applications that came bundled with the cameras - I prefer iPhoto (and Gimp). I do find Arcsoft's PanoramaMaker application very useful for stitching together my panorama shots.I also highly recommend a USB card reader; I ordered ours direct fromhttp://www.crucial.com for under 10$
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote