Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:33 PM   #41

Hi,

I'm very interested in the experiences of present FZ20-users with this new FZ30.

Do they feel that it is meaningful to upgrade to the FZ30?

Or is it a step downwards?

OK, there are some new features which are nice, but at the end you look at the pictures and I'm very curious if one is happy with the overall results in relation with the one's of the FZ20.....

So, be honest and give us your opinions!

Jan

vogel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:01 PM   #42

Thanks again..!

The FZ30 looks likea good choice for backup camera. Maybe my wifewere use it if Iwill buy it (she hates wasting time on changing lenses). I've seen another samples on dpreview.com and I'm steel worry about skin and green colours.. :-( And I should buy wide-angle add-on because 36mm equivalent at wide-end is too long for me. I'll be very happy if i find not-Panasonic (and cheaper) wide-angle lens.

Maybe, ifIwere own the FZ30, i will makesomething like comparison of Canon 20D with not-L lenses (my friend has 20D and I have Tokina& Sigmalenses), Canon analog, Nikon 8800 (also owned by my friends) andPanas.FZ30 ..?

There is another problem - it's impossible to find FZ30 in stock in Poland :-(

best regards,
/Slash
SlashPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:54 AM   #43

Hi there;

Came across http://members.shaw.ca/iancs4/FZcomparison.htmdoing some google; Just thought it would be of interest :arrow:

Seems like a great cam to me; Really great improvements to the fz20; all exept the small CCD and focusring left without 'focus location'.

Cheers! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:31 AM   #44

Internet crashed just as I was posting so I'll have to be less long winded this time around...here are a few shots right off the flash card again. No processing. Tried for zoom macros, but haven't got the hang of the buttons and settings yet. Neat presets for this camera, including starry sky and firworks! Will give you an example of the starry sky one tomorrow. Hope to have time to get more posted and help Terry out a bit. You can see on the one shot I was trying for the dragonfly (not the plant) but still got nice detail in the plant leaves. Like the rose shot, see the little bug in mid air there? More to come, best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:52 AM   #45

macro attempt...five feet out max zoom....
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:00 AM   #46

Another macro attempt again from way out, bug was just cleared for landing...got him by accident. More later and better ones on the way,

KennethD
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:30 AM   #47

These examples don't make for what I would consider a help in making a choice for this camera.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:50 PM   #48

Hello again!

Nice shots Kenneth! I noticed the shade of green is a little like "late-summer", but I hope this is the only right-program dependent problem. Even though _vIZnquest_ is right - your photos are resized and don't represent "pure" FZ30 abilities - I've decided to try to buy this camera. I have one problem - you cannot find this sweety at polish shops or markets (or e-markets) unfortunately. I'm not going to wait for polish resellers.. What do you think about canadian "Henry's" internet shopping? I've found they could send this camera to my place for /only../ 100$ delivery fee. Is it good idea, or I should rather check shops closer to me?

Another problem is I cannot find any add-on lenses (wide&tele) at all in Poland :-( .
wheee

Finally I hope my wife will get into pics made with FZ30.. ;-)

Wish me lots of luck..

regards
/Slash

SlashPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:56 PM   #49

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
These examples don't make for what I would consider a help in making a choice for this camera.
I wouldn't totally write them off. Granted the iso, and other manual settings are not the bestthe camera can do. It does give an idea of color saturation in sunlight, contrast you can expect in AE and detail too, in nearly all auto settings. So for the point and shoot club, (surprising how many are just that) it does tell a bit about the camera. But...as I S E D I will expand a bit as I go along getting more familiar with the various other more interesting things this marvel can do. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:21 PM   #50

SlashPL wrote:
Quote:
Hello again!

Nice shots Kenneth! I noticed the shade of green is a little like "late-summer", but I hope this is the only right-program dependent problem. Even though _vIZnquest_ is right - your photos are resized and don't represent "pure" FZ30 abilities - I've decided to try to buy this camera. I have one problem - you cannot find this sweety at polish shops or markets (or e-markets) unfortunately. I'm not going to wait for polish resellers.. What do you think about canadian "Henry's" internet shopping? I've found they could send this camera to my place for /only../ 100$ delivery fee. Is it good idea, or I should rather check shops closer to me?

Another problem is I cannot find any add-on lenses (wide&tele) at all in Poland :-( .
wheee

Finally I hope my wife will get into pics made with FZ30.. ;-)

Wish me lots of luck..

regards
/Slash
Slash...the best price I have seen in my city is $929 Canadian. Check out the camera store (that is the name of their website too) here in Calgary. I'll bet if you contact them, they could give you some useful advice. A few more nice things I have to report...the write time to the flash card when you shoot RAW or Tiff is very fast. Under a second. This is one of the reasons I bought this camera. My old 7i took 15 seconds to write tiff shots...similair with RAW and that was also one reason I did not buy other silmilairly featured prosumers such as the Nikon CP8800...tho it was very nice all in all. It was just way too slow writing raw and tiff. Sorry I have to downsize so much to get shots posted, and I have no site to post larger shots on. If you'd like to send me your email address thru a PM and I'll send you any size you like if that helps. Meanwhile I'm still going to have fun learning this beauty and I'll still post whatever I think you might find interesting. AE lock is a nice touch too, but read the attributes on the Panasonic site, and it'll help follow these descriptions. Best regards,

KennethD