Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:08 PM   #1

Bought my FZ30 two days ago and I'm pretty impressed. Noise levels at ISO 100 are close to the same as ISO 800 on my 20D. Not too bad. Cleans up well in PS. Very accurate color, skin tones, etc. Shutter lag excellent. Focus very quick. Focuses better than my Canon 17-40mm F4L but not as good as my 70-200mm F2.8L IS. Image stabilization works great. Excellent zoom range. Macro mode is nice. I get a really nice out of focus back ground. Supposedly I can get that as well on portraits but I haven't tried yet. Only had it 2 days. Movie mode is nice. Much more inconspicuous than my Canon gear. I went out at lunch today and photographed a band playing downtown and also shot some video. Had I done that with my big white L lens I surely would have had the stares.
I was surprised when I went in to the camera store about 2 weeks ago and saw the FZ30 sitting there. I was sure it wasn't out till October. Then I heard that the release was only in Canada. Can anyone confirm that?
terryf1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:20 PM   #2

Don't know, but we ara all waiting for the FZ30 pics, and eventually a small comparison of FZ30 shots with those from your dSLR
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:30 PM   #3

I'm at work right now. As soon as I get a chance I'll upload some comparisons. The shots I have from my Panasonic are just quick little test shots. I haven't yet had a chance to go and really work this camera out. I can tell you this the noise levels are the only draw back of this camera. Nothings perfect. Even my 20D with a $2500 lens sometimes dissapoints(Not noise but other ways). So a comparison of the panasonic to the 20D isn't a fair one. I read reviews on many cameras and viewed the sample pics. I really don't know what all the complaints about noise in the FZ30 are about. It really isn't that much worse than any other prosumer digital. Everyone of them has a problem to deal with. I chose to put up with the noise and took the advantages of the amazing startup speed, quick focus and minimum shutter lag. These features were so close to DSLR that its not annoying to shoot on the 20D then pickup the FZ30.
Can anyone tell me if the wide angle conversion lenses for these types of cameras are worth it? If anyone has had any experience just let me know how they were.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:15 PM   #4

I don't have a FZ30 but a FZ20. The latter has some barrel distortion at WA, but I recall I have read that it does not get that much worse with the Pana WA conversion lens. But the latter costa a lot. I don't know if it's worth, after all the Canon is better and, owing to the weaker results of FZs with high dynamic range scenes, it'd be better not to spend the money, for you already have a 17mm Canon (= about 28mm with the 1,5 multipl.).

I think I ll do this sacrifice, i.e. noty buying FZ30, but waiting for its successor in 2006 or early 2007: hoping that it has some more buttons for focus, metering and ISO and especially a larger CCD with same 8Mp and better IQ and eventually a smaller min aperture than F11 and a clearer ISO 400 and a useable ISO 800... (Dreaming?)

After all, even having the money, one cannot buy each upgrade of any hardware or software which one owes

Francesco

Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
I don't have a FZ30 but a FZ20. The latter has some barrel distortion at WA, but I recall I have read that it does not get that much worse with the Pana WA conversion lens. But the latter costa a lot. I don't know if it's worth, after all the Canon is better and, owing to the weaker results of FZs with high dynamic range scenes, it'd be better not to spend the money, for you already have a 17mm Canon (= about 28mm with the 1,5 multipl.).

I think I ll do this sacrifice, i.e. noty buying FZ30, but waiting for its successor in 2006 or early 2007: hoping that it has some more buttons for focus, metering and ISO and especially a larger CCD with same 8Mp and better IQ and eventually a smaller min aperture than F11 and a clearer ISO 400 and a useable ISO 800... (Dreaming?)

After all, even having the money, one cannot buy each upgrade of any hardware or software which one owes

Francesco

I noticed that the wide angle for the FZ20 is much more expensive than the one for the FZ30

Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:30 PM   #6

Apparently the FZ30 is delayed to mid Oct for the US. No reason why but I've read a few posts on dpreview stating the new date in Oct.

Cheers

harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:25 PM   #7

Heres a couple of snapshots that I took. The first one from the 20D with the 70-200mm F2.8L IS lens no flash, and the second one with the Panasonic FZ30.
Because I shot the first one at high ISO I applied a little post processing for the noise. The same with the second one. The first one was done in RAW and converted to JPG and the second one from the FZ30 was shot as a JPG. The FZ30 shot also used flash which is why there its harsh on the skin tones. Not a very good comparison. As soon as I get time I am going to do side by side comparisons using the 20D with the 17-40 F4L.

Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:01 AM   #8

Terryf1960

the pics cannot be seen on my PC, also pasting their URL on a new window.

However as you said the comparison is not that fair, and for now we'd probably be more interested to FZ30 pics only.

Also comparing resized pics diminishes the differences between a dSLR cam and a compact one. It is the 100% crops that tell the real story
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:37 AM   #9

I'm interested in the AE lock and the higher res EVF. Have you used these much? How does the EVF compare to that on the FZ20? Thanks.
Dean Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:01 PM   #10

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Terryf1960

the pics cannot be seen on my PC, also pasting their URL on a new window.

However as you said the comparison is not that fair, and for now we'd probably be more interested to FZ30 pics only.

Also comparing resized pics diminishes the differences between a dSLR cam and a compact one. It is the 100% crops that tell the real story
Sorry. Power outage lastnight and my web server was down. Its up now.