Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:58 PM   #1

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon 6T Macro lense...

do I need a step-down ring for a Panasonic FZ20?

which one?
62-55 step-down ring

or

62-52 stepdown ring..

Thanks
dee
tudacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:42 AM   #2

The 6T has 62mm threads soif you have a 62mm adapter like the Phayee or Pemarral, you don't need a step-down ring. If you don't have an adapter, you're going to need one. You cannot attach the 6T directly to the FZ20.

Do you have an adapter and what size is it?

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:45 AM   #3

No, I don't have anything yet, but the camera :roll:

So, are you recommending a 62 mm adapter like the Phayee, instead of the step-down ring?

what are the advantages of either?
thanks for your help.
dee
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:22 AM   #4

Thereare nothreads on the FZ20 lens to screw a step-down ring unto, that's why you need an adapter. Panasonic supplies a plastic adapter that has 72mm threads in front of it, but it sits too far from the Leica lens to be effective. If you look at your manual you will see that there is a removable ring on the camera (not the part that extends) that exposes threads, that is the part that the adapter will screw into. Your UV filter, Polarizer, 6T, Teleconverter etc. will screw into the adapter. Phayee, Pemaraal, Raynox, Yoshida and other adapters are designed to place your add-on filters and lenses as close to the Leica lens as possible which is the ideal position to reduce flare. If you plan to add other lenses like a teleconverter, you must have an adapter.

Example: I have a Phayee adapter which has two different sections. The first section has 62mm threads the second section has 72mm threads (it's like a little hood}. I screw in my 62mm UV filter onto the 62mm section, the same goesfor my polarizer and my TCON 14b 62mm teleconverter, also WCON 08B 62mm wide angle and 62mm 6T. I chose these lenses because of their optical quality but also because they all have 62mm threads so I wouldn't have to bother with step-douwn ring. I use the 72mm section to screw in my Hoya 72mm collapsible rubber hood. I like to keep things simple.

Hope this helps,

Hiroshi

Here are some informative sites you might want to look at:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu./~shene/DigiCa...-10/index.html

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/

http://www.b-300.com/index.html

Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:42 AM   #5

Tudacee

I make macros with 6T without Phayee or Pemaraal.
I use jsut the supplied FZ20 adaptor and a 72-62mm step down ring.

I have never had a problem with reflections with this set-up.

The good things about third parties' adaptors is that they are directly 62mm and that they are shorter, so they don't block up the flash light (or block up less)in normal macro mode, when you must get as close to the object as possible.
But with one or more Nikon lens you are always at 15-30 cm from the subject, so the light of the on board flash is never blocked by the adaptor anyway.

An external flash with bouncer is recommended, but you can get fine results also with the on board one, using it at less than average power and placing a transparent paper sheet (thouse used in technical drawing with china ink) in front of the flash to cut some more light.

The trick is that as you'll see, the 6T can be either threaded to the 6T with this latter one "emerging" out of the Panasonic Adapter, OR inversely with the 6T falling entireli WITHIN the adapter, thus being very close to the outer FZ20 lens when this is extended.

This is easier to directly test/see than to explain.

If you mount in inversely , the 6T will be out and more distant from the outer lens of the FZ20, causing some reflections and loss of detail.

With the mounting/threading I show, ONLY THE 62-72mm STEP DOWN RING EMERGES OUT OF THE PANA ADAPTOR

Narmer

Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:44 AM   #6

detail

I think that when the cam is switched on and the lens extended , it stands at 3-5mm from the metal ring of the 6T.

PS now I note that in this picture it seems that the 6T is not within the adaptor for you see the circular sections of the latter within it: I assure you that the 6T was in and that those sections depend on an optical reflection.

You only have to thread the 6T in the right way on the SdRing and it will go within the adaptor rather than out of it.

Also not that while I took the picture theFZ20 was switched off, so the lens laid, therefore you can't see it in this picture.
Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:58 AM   #7

Wow, what a big help from both of you...
I would have made some mistakes in buying...
thanks...
dee
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:06 AM   #8

Francesco, that is a pretty smart idea in mounting the 6T inward using the supplied adapter. It does bring it closer to the Leica.