Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

I currantly have the fz-20 and am quite satisfied with it. However I do get the scratch to look at the entry level SLRs and wonder if im missing out on image quality "big time"? I rarely go beond 6x4 and then only to 8x10. From what I can understand I am as good as it will get shooting at this size and would not benefit to a large degree with a DSLR. Your input would be appreciated.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:57 PM   #2

I couldn't agree more!

Whilst there are areas where the DSLR will always outclass the FZ series and its ilk, the type of photography you and I (the average Joe...?) buy a camera for isn't among them.

Certainly you may (if you're good enough!) gain some improvement in various areas with a good DSLR, but you'll also pay for the privilege in both cash and ease of use.

In general, the results I get from the FZ20 when properly printed are quite the equal of anything I've had from film SLR's in the past (here I must admit that my SLR's are old and not the most expensive -- newest is a Nikon F401, others (Praktica, Yashica Pentamatic etc. date back to the '50's and early 60's.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:32 PM   #3

You are only missing out if your current setup doesn't allow you to get the shots you want.* I own an FZ-20 and a Canon 1D.* No way can my FZ-20 compete with my 1D when it comes to sports and higher ISO shots.* But, you're talking $600 new (list) vs. $1500 for a similar range setup.* But the FZ-20 is an extremely capable camera with excellent results right out of the camera.* Almost all dSLR photos require a little sharpening afterwards.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:54 AM   #4

Thank you both for the replies. Now I no longer have to wonder what Am I missing, for my style of photography, and just enjoy an excellent camera.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 6:06 AM   #5

As long as you're not worried aboutdifficult lighting conditionsand high iso performance, the FZ's work wonderfully. And if you don't print over 8 X 10, you're just fine again with a FZ model. They're great cameras. Cheers.........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote