Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:04 AM   #1

Spotted this on dpreview and it clearly shows that RAW mode in FZ30 retains a lot more detail and I suspect less noise than the fine jpeg mode with in cam compression and noise reduction. I knew that the picts shot in RAW would be better (that was the case with the LC1D2 - but the jpegs that cam produces at ISO 100 are on another level) but I'm pleasantly suprised by these shots. Now what i would like to see is some RAW shots at all ISO settings in both good and low light and high quality jpges with sat/contrast/sharpenss set to low.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14895917

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2

Raw is going to be better in all cases. No compression. All the detail is there. Do you know what conversion program they used? I guess Panasonic must have included a RAW browser and convertor with the FZ30 package. It's good to see this. I think I'll be buying a FZ30 in the future. Like the features. Will just hang on until the initial prices come down. The FZ20 has dropped over $250 in Canada since it's introduction last Oct. Cheers.........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 2:02 PM   #3

I'm not sure on the RAW plug-in used, as the FZ30 doesn;t yet come with one but Ive read of people using the one for Pana LC1's in PSHOP. If I had an FZ30, I would be seriously considering shooting in RAW if its retaining that much detail and quality although it would mean having to get a 1-2GB fast SD card and getting used to working with a slight delay in between shots but that would be an accetable compromise.

HarjTT

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote