Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:20 PM   #1

Iam shooting low light and sports and i have a lot of noise in my shots.

Is there any free programs to download to help me with the noise?

Any ideas on shooting low action shots that dont turn out too dark to use?

I have seen someone talking about 5mp pictures having too much info to put on the picture and a lower mp might help? Doesn't sound right to me but what do you think.

Help

Attached Images

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:55 PM   #2

If your shooting in "P" mode in low light situations the camera will switch to 400 ISO which is pretty noisy. You might want to experiment with manual mode lock it to 200ISO open the aperture all the way and play with the speed. You'll know you've succeeded If you can pull it off without motion blur.

"Noiseware Community" is a good free program you can download from the net. The problem with this shot is that it's taken from far away and the subjects are very small. If you apply noise reduction, critical detail like the grass will disappear, so personally I would leave it alone and just do some PP to bring out the lighting. Here is an example of a quick fix.

Hiroshi

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:50 PM   #3

Ilove what you did to my picture. What program or PP did you do to make it look so much better?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
Ilove what you did to my picture. What program or PP did you do to make it look so much better?
I used the quick one button "level auto fix" on my "Digital Image Pro" program from Microsoft.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5

The only exif I can see in your photo is that you used an exposure compensation of minus 1 and that is really wrong for low light shots as a underexposed shot promotes noise.

Set the compensation to zero at least for low light.

If there was more exif included we could maybe help more.

I have seen no evidence that a lower resolution lowers noise ..try it and see, but do not underexpose shots in low light.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:59 PM   #6

Since I posted I downloaded that photo and opened it in PS ant the histogram indicates that that photo was enderexposed by about 2 stops and as I said that promotes noise.

Neat Image is a demo program that reduces noise but if you correct the exposure it will have far less noise.

I was going to run Neat Image on this photo but it works much better on the original photo so I did not, just adjusted the levels.

Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote