Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:26 AM   #1

The fun factor of the camera is definitely there, have been able to take a lot of up-close shots, superb burst mode, nice colors, very responsive camera - I've already made mention of the positive aspects of the FZ5. What I've been finding frustrating with this camera, particularly, is that it sometimes struggles to focus properly even when I employ the suggested modes (i.e. subjectoutof focus, background focused,soft pictureEVEN when focused..?)- spot mode, center mode, multi parttern, high speed 1-area mode, 3 area high speed mode. The pictures I've attached were all taken at the in Los Angeles and on the UCLA campus. I admit I used the natural mode (soft) when taking the pictures and had to post-process most of the pictures to accentuate the details of the scene. With all due respect to the FZ5, my P & S Canon SD500 has produced similar, in some instances, far better results than the FZ5 (minus purple fringing), and we're talking about a 3X zoom camera!

Am I frustrated? Sure, but at the same time, I don't want to think about selling the camera.

Picture 1
Attached Images

John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:30 AM   #2

Picture 2 (squirrel picture, I had it locked, and yet I get this result).
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3

Picture 3
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:34 AM   #4

Picture 4 (very disappointing picture - my Canon SD500 produced a lot better shot than this one)
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:39 AM   #5

Picture 5
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:51 AM   #6

Picture 6
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:45 PM   #7

PIc 4 looks like you did not really set the focus right...it does look on most that it is more you than the camera...but I get frustrated at times with my FZ5 too...but p&p usually saves the day though.

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:38 PM   #8

John

Ixus and A series Canon camera are very nice ones as far as color and resolution.

I often have to make much PP to achievevery similar results between FZ20 and Canon A300 (!) shots.

Although the former is better in resolution, Canon excels in WB, contrasts, high dynamic range scenes reproduction and color (vivid mode gives typical Canon colors with nice blue skies -polarizer - like- and brilliant grass -but not phosphorescent or unreally looking like FZ20 with High saturation setting).

The point is that UZ can hardly retain colors and contrasts, and, although a fine lens, FZ 5/20 is always a 12x one, with lotsof glass.

Can you post the SD500 equivalent to nr. 4 ?

I agree that Canon pics need far less PP than FZ ones (als oless noise in Canon at ISO 50-100). You can't have really all in one...

Finally also note that you are using a mode which diminishes contrasts, saturation and sharpness.
So colors might be dull as out of the cam, but with less noise.
In normal settings FZ have natural colors, despite some yellow casts in pictures with much green in them.

And also note that those Canon colors, are very nice to see (we are accustomed to see them in dSLR pics) but they are often much more saturated than the reality.
A kind of trademark to distinguish Canon from Nikon from Sony... but always a reinterpreatation of true colors
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote