Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:41 AM   #1

I just got back from a trip to California and I took a ton of pictures. I used all defualt automatic settings and they ALL turned out extreamly grainy. What I mean by grainy is they have a TON of noise. So much so that I cant bear to look at them before I use paint shop pro 9 to fix the noise. After that they look ok. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with my camera. The only thing I have done to it is add the Phayee adaptor and a hoya pro 1 UV filter.
ProStreetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:50 AM   #2

Like dSLR cams and more than some P&S Canon or else (which provide nice vivid colors as out of the camera), FZ20 shots need PP and really benefit a lot by it.

If you look at your pics at screen size , noise will be hardly detactable, although you will see the difference comparing the sky in a 1024 pixels resized image with one which has been PP with Noise reduction software.

PP is fun -at least for me is- but it can become very boring when you have to do that on hundreds of images, mechanically and with no creative intent but removing issues in the pics.

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm

Look at these shots to see what FZ20 can do, and be advised that in the last 4 months after these shots were taken ihave much improved my photo and PP technique, especially in macros

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:01 AM   #3

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Like dSLR cams and more than some P&S Canon or else (which provide nice vivid colors as out of the camera), FZ20 shots need PP and really benefit a lot by it.

If you look at your pics at screen size , noise will be hardly detactable, although you will see the difference comparing the sky in a 1024 pixels resized image with one which has been PP with Noise reduction software.

PP is fun -at least for me is- but it can become very boring when you have to do that on hundreds of images, mechanically and with no creative intent but removing issues in the pics.

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm

Look at these shots to see what FZ20 can do, and be advised that in the last 4 months after these shots were taken ihave much improved my photo and PP technique, especially in macros

Narmer
Quote:
I understand that completely but this is much worse than you think. I am trying to find a host that will allow me to host a full size image so I can show everybody. It is really horrible.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:11 AM   #4

Ok here is a full un touched picture.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=01W3E1MJ
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
I understand that completely but this is much worse than you think. I am trying to find a host that will allow me to host a full size image so I can show everybody. It is really horrible.

There are plenty of sites that allow full size photos this is one

http://imageevent.com/

And I have not tried this one yet but I did sign up.

http://iciclelanding.com/aperture?view=home

But the point is ..a photo displayed full screen on your monitor is what you should be concerned about as if its good at that size it will print a great 8 X10.

That does not neccessarily hold true for lesser MP cameras but it does for the FZ20.

And for the times you need a larger print one of the NR programs can help.

I really have had 16 X 20's printed from the FZ20 with no NR done and I thought they were great.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:03 AM   #6

DON'T, and I say it again, DON'T use ISO 400 for such lighting situations !

Try setting ISO to 80 or 100 and you'll get much better results.

You have to tweak your FZ20 settings a little to get good to great results.

Martin
Manie_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:40 PM   #7

Woah..... a really bad picture. One look at the EXIF data and the problem is easily spotted. Like Martin said, ISO 400....

I assume you were in Program (P) Mode. This made the camera select 1/1600 shutter and F8 aperture. Seriously, it has to be VERY bright for you to use that kinda values, but as it was on ISO400 that was all the poor camera could do as it was too bright for it, and it had to do that to make a decent exposure.

But that is how we learn. Read the manual and learn the camera as much as you can. It is a kick-ass camera, but alas it is only a tool. Know how to use it. Try to learn about how lenses work and what F-stops and shutter speeds do.

Next time, in a situation like this, go into Manual mode and try something like 1/500th and F4-5, at ISO 80. I almost never go to ISO 100. Try to set the correct White Balance also, it helps.

With some noise removal and a little bit of tweaking in Photoshop, this image can be printed at maybe 5 inches.

Take care.
ignitef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:09 PM   #8

Oh man you guys are right. I just looked and I some how set it on 400 manually. I dont ever recall doing that. no wonder they all turned out so bad. I just did a huge patch process with paint shop pro 9 and they look bearable now. Thanks for your help guys.