Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:00 PM   #11

The next camera thatI get will probably be a Canon DSLR. I am waiting for Canon to put a bigger LCD on them though. I like the built in IS and the bigger LCD of the Maxxum. I just can't decide between them.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:05 PM   #12

Chrystie,

You have not found your camera yet :lol:

Same for me...
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:26 PM   #13

24mm – 120mm lens and a CMOS sensor, that is one mean combination. The issues with the FZ range is no WA and no long exposures, with a CMOS sensor there would be soooo little noise. I wont be getting one (dSLR a better investment) but a lot of people would.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:32 PM   #14

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I'st I still wish people would stop using the meaningless marketing terms like a 12x lens. All that is, is the max focal length devided by the minimum focal length, it dosen't really tell you anyting except the min to max ratio. :idea:
I only reiterate what Panasonicrefers to as a 12x lens (see picture). Everyone is a critic anymore!

I am surprised at all of the negitive comments about this Sony camera. Does no one see what this will lead to? A few years (maybe a little more)ago digital photography was unheard of. Now we are looking at 10.8 CMOS sensor in a point and shoot. The technology is about to go to the next level. Much like the pentium processor didto the 486 computers. Have some faith in the engineers and designers of this equipment. Who knows what is possible with new lens and sensor technology.

Do you all really think that digital cameras are as good as they are going to get!
Attached Images

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:48 PM   #15

I'm negative about this camera because of the price. At over $1000 (I think one site listed it at $1200) I can get a DSRL which enables me to use the low noise over all ranges. This camera is too expensive for the niche it is attempting to fill. Ican get a 12X IS zoom (Panasinic FZ30) for less that half the cost. Andsome goodDSLRs can be found for hundreds less than this new Sony. This point and shoot looks as big as a DSLR. Looks just as big to carry around. Sorry...but I believe at it's price, it will get creamed by the DSLRs. It's about $300 too expensive too compete with DSLRs.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Then at 10 megapixels...we will have to seehow fast the camera is......

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Chrystie

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:14 PM   #16

I really would not call the FZ-10 a "Prosumer" camera.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:18 PM   #17

Like some of the other posters here I'm a wee bit suprised by the negativity towards this Sony cam. I was kind of hoping that Pana/Leica would bring out a 4/3rd based Digicam too but kudos to Sony for pushing the digicam envelope. Personally, its an interesting camera although I don;t like the deisgn but this cam kind of fills the niche that the LC1/D2 fills (5MP 2/3rd CCD+28-90mm(f2.0-2.8) Leica Summunicron lens all in a rangefinder look). Now who knows if the replacment for the LC1/Digilux2 may just do that - a 4/3CCD + Vario Summricon lens and I personally would be very interested in that, although i'm also going to wait and see what the Pana 4/3 cam's will be like.

As far as I'm concerned a camera is just a tool and is only as good as the person using it. Some of us like the all in one solution of a digicam, the ability of a live preview+histogram+IS+fixed zoom lens without having to carry a camera body and several lenses while others prefer a DSLR and all of the benefits that they have.

Regards the price of the Sony, $1000 for a digicam is a bit steep but remember that when Panasonic and Leica released the Digilux2/LC1 these digicams were at the $1500-$1200 price point - in the UK they were £1500-£900.00 ($2750-$1600 USD). These cam's now at least 18months old are still being snapped up at the $1000 price point - why becuase they are still capable of producing some very stunning high quality pictures - although restricted to ISO100-200, offer all of benefits of a point and shoot, combined with what may be the best lens on a point and shoot - the Vario Summicron (which if you had to buy it on its own would cost £1200). So there definetly is a market for a high quality digicam at the $800-1000USD price point especially if it can produce the goods.

Cheers

HarjTT

PS.

DCR has more info on the cam - IS0160-3200, manual zoom and focus rings etc.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:26 PM   #18

:-) I agree that the cameras will keep on improveing. So long as the price drops as well this is a good thing :-)
Though higher megapixels is not necessarely an improvement in a camera that may never be used to make very large prints, nice option to have.

And for the first line: Physics.
You only got the huge lens length equivalents because of the crop factor inherent in small sensors, as they get bigger the crop factor disappears until you are left with full sized lenses on full sized sensors.

Peter

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
Who knows what is possible with new lens and sensor technology.

Do you all really think that digital cameras are as good as they are going to get!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:31 PM   #19

HarjTT:
Not negative about this camera at all, I think it would make a good replacememt for my old nikon 5400(I paid 1400$ for it when it was new). I'll wait till it drops to 500$ or so, It took the 5400 a whole year to do that :blah:
Ain't new rapidly ageing obsolete technology wonderfull:!:

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:10 AM   #20

Mercurycu wrote:
Quote:
But why would you buy this camera when a DSLR can give you low noise pics with a large sensor at all (wide-angle, mid and telephoto) ranges at a similar price.
Clearly you speak only for yourself and care zero about what other people may be interested in or require. Personally, I'm sick and tired of SLR and changing lenses. Please try to understand that there are guys out there who would like to shoot quality images with fullexposure control, manual zoom, live preview (very important for underwater housing), etc. BUT SIMPLY NOT WANT ANOTHER DSLR!

As to the allegedly high price: I COULDN'T CARE LESS. I'd gladly be willing to pay another 500€ on top if the camera fulfills my needs.

btw: 95% of my photos fall within the range 28-100mm so for me the wider angle of 24mm would be a very welcome improvement.

peace, nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote