Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:43 AM   #21

Overall this Sony camera might sell more or less as well as Nikon CP 8800 did.
Who cares it is not a real UZ.
Who cares it as a strange look, with LCD atop of it. I won't be buying it.

The important thing is that technology (in which sony is great as far as CCD/CMOS developing) is pushed ahead, and competition is more live.

Do you think that FZ30 would have had all these improvements over its predecessors if Nikon had not came out with the 8MP, twistable LCD 8800 (let's be silent about Canon, KMand Olympus UZ) ?

Now Samsung, Fujiand - in part - Sony are heating up concurrence.
I hope that Canon , Oly and others will too.
In this case it will be more probable tosee a FZ40 late in 2006/early 2007, which has as many improvements as FZ30 has over FZ20.
In a climate of scarce movement in UZ sector, we would probably look at something like FZ10-FZ20, with very few improvements (actually FZ20 is overall really only slightly better than FZ10 imo, although more than 1 year younger).

Technological improvements in this sectore are IMO much about:
1) Engines (software correction of abberrations, noise and other issues; capabilityto prcess quickly and precisely image colors and other parameters).
2) CCDs microtechnology: improve the performances of single cells even if they are in relatively small CCDs, which are necessary in order to keep UZ camera size somewhat compact.
A "cooler" beneath the CCD would keep its cells fresh and minimaze their heating up and reciprocal interference which causes noise :-)

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:26 AM   #22

<< Overall this Sony camera might sell more or less as well as Nikon CP 8800 did.
Who cares it is not a real UZ.
Who cares it as a strange look, with LCD atop of it. I won't be buying it. >>

I have a Nikon CP 8800, Panasonic FZ20, and an Oly8080. I personally probably won't be upgrading to a DSLR because I like not having to look through anoptical viewfinder to compose my pictures. My point is this camera is hundreds of dollars too expensive to really compete against a DSLR (also low noise, can do telephoto, and just as big). Let's face it, the DSLR market is where it's at. The hot sellers are the Canon Rebel and Nikon DSLRs. This camera may generate a very loyal following, but IMHO it will never be a big seller for SONY because it is hundreds more than the current crop of DSLRs. And itcan't do telephoto, so the UZs trouce it there and they are half the price and also hot sellers. It's all anout marketing, and the price of this camera will hurt it. It's about $400. too high. Hey..I love Sony. I have a P10, V1, T1, W1, F717, and a new H1. My point is Sony is in this to make money and this camera I fear is doomed to be a lousy seller at the high price it is now. When the proce drops to around $700..then it may sell like hotcakes.

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:58 AM   #23

Life, and digicams, are full of compromises.
Dean Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:06 PM   #24

Regardless, I am excited about the possibilities this could bring to the next generation of cameras.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:54 PM   #25

<< Regardless, I am excited about the possibilities this could bring to the next generation of cameras.>>

Me too. :-) My first digicam was an Olympus that was less than a megapixel in 1998, I think. I haven't shot film in 6 years now. I *love* digital photography.

Nowif Olympus would just make an IS ultrazoom like they pioneered years ago....

Of the ultrazzoms that I currently have, the one I reach for the most is the FZ20. I love the Nikon 8800 though for it's tack on white balance and for people shots. Also the red eye removal feature is pretty cool. I get tired of removing red-eye in photoshop.

Chrystie
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:43 PM   #26

I asked this in the Sony board, and since the new Sony is mentioned here as a comparo to the Pana, I will ask the same question (btw, do you sometimes foregt where you have posted and have trouble keeping up like I do???:blah::blah::blah

I thought I read the Sony was well above 2 pounds, whereas the FZ30, I believe is less than a pound...won't that extra mass and bulk become a hindrance, except to those who just like walking around with a boat anchor on their neck???:?:?
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:44 PM   #27

<< I asked this in the Sony board, and since the new Sony is mentioned here as a comparo to the Pana, I will ask the same question (btw, do you sometimes foregt where you have posted and have trouble keeping up like I do???:blah::blah::blah>>

LOL!!! Well I do have those senior moments, but youcan blame this on I like and have Panasonic and Sony digital cameras and thus read both boards. At least you fellow Pany compatriots have't threatened to pretty much tar and feather me for "boring you" like the some of my fellow Sony lovers did when I said I wasn't impressed with certain aspects of this new Sony wundercamera.

Chrystie

Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:03 PM   #28

Yeah, the new FZ30 is a bit of a porker; weighs more than a lens-less D70, but from the rabid, er, avid fans on the Panny dpreview forums, this is not an issue. But then again, nothing is an issue for us enthusiastic Pannymaniacs, eh? :-)
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:27 PM   #29

<<Yeah, the new FZ30 is a bit of a porker; weighs more than a lens-less D70, but from the rabid, er, avid fans on the Panny dpreview forums, this is not an issue. But then again, nothing is an issue for us enthusiastic Pannymaniacs, eh>>

Amen, Brother Dean. But I think you meant the Sony was the porker? It is at least "porkier" than the FZ30. At two pounds the Sony attained brick status for me. :-)

Chrystie
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:38 PM   #30

Indeed. Expensive bookends. I would love to own them both anyway.