Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:43 PM   #1

I was at the DPreview site (sorry) and saw Sony has released the Cyber-shot DSC-R1.Herearesome excerps (edited)from the article:

The Cyber-shot® R1 camera is the world's first integrated lens digital still camera to combine a professional-grade (large APS size) sensor.To be precise a 10.3 megapixel CMOS unit measuring 21.5 x 14.4 mm which is essentially a slightly smaller version of the sensor used in the Nikon D2X.

The DSC-F828 for example had a 2/3" CCD which had effective capture area of 8.8 x 6.6 mm, the DSC-R1's sensor is approximately 2.4x wider and 2.2x taller. This larger sensor facilitates larger photosite's, the F828 had a 2.7 µm pixel pitch, the DSC-R1 has a 5.49 µm pixel pitch (and hence has lower lens resolution requirements).

I hope Panasonic does the same thing withtheir next model (FZ40?). I really enjoy my FZ10, but like everyone else, Ihate the prosumer noise problem. I was getting ready to bite the bullet and go for an DSLR, but I likean integrated lens. If Panasonic can do 12X with a sensor like this, I will buy it on the spot!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:56 PM   #2

And I want a SUV that gets 50 mpg and retails at about $10,000.00 and will pull a 50 ft Trailer on vacation.

120mm for $1000.00 and you want 4 times more zoom and ISfor $600.00 I imagine.

To me It seemsa dslr is a no brainer compared to that camera.

But I will wait for some photos it may be great...but then again
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:14 PM   #3

I'st I still wish people would stop using the meaningless marketing terms like a 12x lens. All that is, is the max focal length devided by the minimum focal length, it dosen't really tell you anyting except the min to max ratio. :idea:

I do like the idea of the big sensor, but now for some of the issues.
On the small sensor point & shoot cameras (2/3 1/1.8 )you have been enjoying huge effective focal lengths with relatively small real physical lenses.

On my aps-c sized DSLR a 480mm effective lens (300mm F2.8 real) weighs in at about 6 pounds, and is over a foot long. For a P&S with an APS-C sized sensor to have any decent reach like this, it will have to have a honking huge lens attached. Not very light and portable any more. :?

On the plus side it will be easier to get real wide angle lenses on this sized sensor.
And as mentioned high ISO speed performance will be able to be improved
You will also need to buy more storage :-) I get about 100 raw shots to a 1gb card.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:51 PM   #4

<<I hope Panasonic does the same thing withtheir next model (FZ40?). I really enjoy my FZ10, but like everyone else, Ihate the prosumer noise problem. I was getting ready to bite the bullet and go for an DSLR, but I likean integrated lens. If Panasonic can do 12X with a sensor like this, I will buy it on the spot!>>

This new Sony only has a lousy 5X zoom. That makes it a non-consideration for me.

Chrystie

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:06 PM   #5

UgH :blah:
Please explain a 12x lens :-)

X eXamples:
A 100mm-300mm lens is a 3x.
a 20mm-60mm lens is also a 3x.
same X number but the first one is really 5 times longer than the second

A 600mm is only a 1x, but it is 10 times longer than the 60mm and twice as long as the 100-300mm :lol:

That X number is a meaningless term created by marketing departments to help sell lenses.

To have the same reach on the new large sensored camera as the pana you mention the lens would need to physically be over a foot long.
Adding that much glass and support hardware would greatly up the size, weight and mostly the cost of any camera trying it incorporate it.

Peter.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:14 PM   #6

thanks PeterP...that's what i've been trying to say for a long time here. people keep wanting to have a larger sensor and still keep a 400mm 2.8 IS lens! they should see the price tag of Canon's 400mm f/2.8L IS prime! then they'll stop asking for impossible things for under $1000:arrow:
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:14 PM   #7

"To have the same reach on the new large sensored camera as the pana you mention the lens would need to physically be over a foot long.
Adding that much glass and support hardware would greatly up the size, weight and mostly the cost of any camera trying it incorporate it."

And that is why this is such a DUMB idea in a point and shoot ***if I want to use it for wildlife close-ups******* Better to get a DSLR and a nice telephoto. You just re-iterated again why this camera is a non-competitor vs a DSLR. It's a "Sony doesn't make a DSL so here is this" freak that the Panasonic FZ30 will trounce on one side and a DSLR on the other.

Chrystie

Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:22 PM   #8

Yes exactly :!:
This new sony is good for people who want wide to midrange shots with clean low light performance.

Also, sony is about to enter a dslr line, supposedly using the konika-minolta lens mount. :-).

Peter.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:36 PM   #9

But why would you buy this camera when a DSLR can give you low noise pics with a large sensor at all (wide-angle, mid and telephoto) ranges at a similar price. It makes no sens to invest that much in a digital camera that limits it's low noise performance to mid and wide-angle. Even if I didn't use the telephoto range that much, if I stepped up from the current crop of point and shoots (I have a Oly 8080, Nikon 8800, and a Pany FZ20) , for as much money as this new camera, I wouldn't want to be limited to non telephoto shots.

I'll wait for the SONY DSLR. :-)

Chrystie
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:51 PM   #10

I agree with you on the waiting :!: price is always very high for the early entries.

:-) I would buy it to replace my Nikon 5400 if the price was acceptable, for me a P&S like this is worth at most maybe 500$.

I opted into the Canon DSLR system for critical work that needs long and/or fast lenses and clean sensor performance.

I also have a Nikon 5400 P&S, which I picked because its was small, light and its lens went to a fairly wide angle for a point&shoot of 28mm, it maxes out at 114mm at the long end.
It comfortably fits in a pocket, which lets it be carried everywhere. Something that is hard to do with a DSLR.

Peter.