Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2005, 2:46 AM   #1

I manage to take a pic of a heavy humper. But it was hiding beneath the leaves, and it was difficult to take clear shot of it. After taking the shot, I tried to 'encourage' it to come out of it, and off it went....not to be seen again

I also spotted a Banded Phintella and a small robberfly perched at the tip of a plant (same place as my Dragonfly shots last week).

All taken with FZ10+Nikon 6T+Sigma CU, Ext bounce flash, ISO 50, F8, various speeds

#1: Heavy jumper 1
1/160s

#2: Heavy Jumper 2
1/160s

#3: Banded Phintella
1/160s

#4: Robberfly
1/125s

#5: Eyes
1/160s

--
http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/
My Equipment: http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/gallery/271702
Using FZ10
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:02 AM   #2

Excellent pictures (as usual) :-)
By the way, I think that the last insect isn't robber fly (Asilidae) but Dance fly (Empididae), because we have such things alo here and I have taken quite a lot of pictures of them. And these flies usually sit like this - on top of some grass, and if you say that it was small, than to me it looks like 95% dance fly :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:22 AM   #3

Thanks cerambx! Never knew that there was such a fly such as a dance fly! Thanks again...learned something new....
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:26 AM   #4

Impressive shots, as is the norm from you.

Really hard to criticize and even harder to find new words to define your photographic art and skill.

PS

By the way, do I remember well that your Sigma CU is about equivalent to Nikon 5T in magnification (+1,5) ?
I see Sigma + 6T already manage to capture the detail in the eye of the fly (small cells which compose it).

I wanted to buy a Second 6T (it costs the same as 5T here in Italy) but I have never seen pics of 2 6T stacked, whereas there are some of 6T + 5T...
Perhaps it is not suggestable to join 2 Nikon 6T for the DOF becomes minimal (around 1mm of focus area at F8?) and the working distance at full optical zoom too short (10-15cm ?) on FZs ?

Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:57 AM   #5

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Impressive shots, as is the norm from you.

Really hard to criticize and even harder to find new words to define your photographic art and skill.

PS

By the way, do I remember well that your Sigma CU is about equivalent to Nikon 5T in magnification (+1,5) ?
I see Sigma + 6T already manage to capture the detail in the eye of the fly (small cells which compose it).

I wanted to buy a Second 6T (it costs the same as 5T here in Italy) but I have never seen pics of 2 6T stacked, whereas there are some of 6T + 5T...
Perhaps it is not suggestable to join 2 Nikon 6T for the DOF becomes minimal (around 1mm of focus area at F8?) and the working distance at full optical zoom too short (10-15cm ?) on FZs ?

Narmer
Thanks Narmer!

Well, yes the Sigma CU is a +1.6 and is close to the 5T. I have heard that pp have used a double 6T stacked. Not sure of result though but the DOF would be much lesser, and the WD would reduce too. Have not tried it myself though.....

rgds

CY

Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6

TCH...as always great stuff..AND always the robber fly amazes me ..I just love the look of them..thx for sharing:G

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:27 PM   #7

To my eyes, #4 is definitely the winner in this set. Beautifully done as usual.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:54 AM   #8

Thanks willow and hiroshi!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 6:22 AM   #9

CerambyX wrote:
Quote:
Excellent pictures (as usual) :-)
By the way, I think that the last insect isn't robber fly (Asilidae) but Dance fly (Empididae), because we have such things alo here and I have taken quite a lot of pictures of them. And these flies usually sit like this - on top of some grass, and if you say that it was small, than to me it looks like 95% dance fly :-)
Hi Cerambyx,

I did a search on the net and for a dance fly, it usually have a long dagger-like snout. They look like robberflies but are usually smaller. I suppose the long snout differentiates them. So for the above, could it be a small species of the Robberfly? Or a species of the Dance fly but with a shorter snout?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:41 PM   #10

Well, on the second look, maybee you are right after all. Here's one picture of dancefly which is shure to be one. The head is clearly smaller, and what do you mean by small? This one was in the size of mosquito, so I believe that it is robber fly after all. That's why I left 95% not 100%, because there are 10 times more different insects in Singapoore than in Latvia :?
Attached Images

CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote