Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:38 PM   #1

This is a one in a billion chance of happening, but nevertheless ocurred: On my recent vacation I happened to stop by a gallery where an artist was presenting some of his digital art works. The artist also owned a printing and printer supply business for which he had an advertisement posted on a bulletin board. The image he used on his advertisement was an image I had posted to this forum back in May, shortly after I had acquired my FZ20! You can imagine my shock and amazement to see this picture, which I immediately recognized as one of my own, displayed in a gallery while I'm on vacation, hundreds of miles away from home. I was able to talk to this person about where he got the image from. He had not heard of this forum or even of Steve's Digicam and said that he had gotten the image from a disk of stock photography that he had purchased. He did not know exactly what company or which disk the image came from, as he had quite a number of them, but was sure that it was from one of these packages. There was some type on the bottom of the picture, but I could not clearly make it out, but it was something like " (c) hapa" or " (c) haya". I did a Google but came up empty.

Does anyone out there have any similar experiences with images posted to the net being ripped off by image pirates? Just a caution that anything posted here may be subject to someone else profitting from your artistic efforts and you may be unaware of it even happening. Comments?
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:08 PM   #2

I would be flattered.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:08 PM   #3

Plain and simple it is theft.
Not necessarily by the gallery owner if he bought the scab royalty free disk in good faith, but by the pirates who made it.
Also once the gallery owner is aware of the situation, he too may become liable if corrective action is not taken.

Yes, unfortunately harvesting does happen by unscrupulous individuals.

If you are worried about your images being misappropriated, the only ways I know to protect them is to watermark (which some people don't like because they say it makes them hard to view) or to keep the size small and compression high which makes them unprintable in any useful sizes.

The one other option, if you can prove it is your image, is to use the copyright laws, and contact a lawyer.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:14 PM   #4

I kind of agree with Genece; seems like the ultimate compliment. :-) But, you've got me really curious....what pic was it?? I'd love to see it. Must still be on the board somewhere. Can you retrieve it and repost?
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:13 PM   #5

Let me guess...

Is it this one?

corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:36 AM   #6

Yes, Corcoj and Genece, I was very flattered to see this image. Indeed it was quite a compliment. Here is the image. Nothing all that special about it, but I guess it will catch someone's eye for whatever reason.
Attached Images

Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:47 AM   #7

Well...
This for shure will give me something to think about... Of course a watermark could help, or signature in corner.
I think that this problem is not very essential to amateur photographers who don't sell their photos, but it's very important to ones who sell their pictures (and therefor aslo for me, because I've already sold some 10 picture and I'm surely planning to sell some more), because if somone will "steal" your picture here (despite he'll have picture of bad resolution)- than this "thief" actually steals your money. And afterwards it will be impossible to prove your copyrights, because you don't have any original material like negative on film cameras. I'm not a lawyer but from what I'm heard it's not very easy to prove copyrights to a digital picture, so it's better to burn them on CD's and delete from PC.
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:27 AM   #8

I wonder how widespread this thing is?
It seems unbelievable that it should exist. But I suppose there are always people out there who seek to make money from other people's work...
Fortunately (?) my pics aren't that great anyway...but I would hate someone making cash out of them.
Perhaps Steve should use a system where you can not save pictures by right click like you can do on some photo album sites?

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:52 AM   #9

I believe that this feature with disabling right clik doesn't really work, because I think you can easily skip it by simply Ctrl+A (Select all) and Ctrl+C, and copy it to the Word (or anywhere else) and you have this picture copied. Ok, it's not like saving this picture directly like a file, but anyway you can use this picture anywhere where you want. :?
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:41 PM   #10

"Right click disable" both does not work and is extremly annoying as it disables all right click functions not just the deraded save-image funcition.

Create yourself a bookmark called: enableRightClick with this code as the location: javascript:void(document.onmousedown=null);void(do cument.onclick=null);void(document.oncontextmenu=n ull)

It disables the rightClick disable, works on any browser.
If you come to a page that kills your mouse right-click just click this bookmark and all the mouse functions are enabled again for that page.

If you really want to save the page contents just go to "file->save page as" this saves the page and all its contents to wherever your browser stores temp information.

I think the best way to prevent image copy may be to embed the images in something like a locked flash file.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote