Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:07 PM   #1

I'm planning on getting the tcon 14B in the next month or so for my FZ20. I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their experience with this combo. I have the Nikon 6T+5T and use it regularly(I shoot alot of macro). I was just wondering if I should expect the same high quality from the Tcon.....basicaly I want to know if it's worth it. I appreciate any information you guys have......Thanks

JaSoN S.
Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:43 PM   #2

Spencer1076 wrote:
Quote:
I'm planning on getting the tcon 14B in the next month or so for my FZ20. I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their experience with this combo. I have the Nikon 6T+5T and use it regularly(I shoot alot of macro). I was just wondering if I should expect the same high quality from the Tcon.....basicaly I want to know if it's worth it. I appreciate any information you guys have......Thanks

JaSoN S.
Spencer, I have the FZ20 with the Tcon14B. I have had good luck with it and the pics are great. It is a little heavy hanging out there on the adapter. If using a tripod make sure it's a good one. Attached is a pic I took of the moon this monday with the combination.. Gerry
Attached Images

ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:53 AM   #3

i have a TCON-14B and have had good results with it. as ggw2000 mentioned, it is heavy - 16 oz - and it wants a firm hold to support it, but it is probably as good a teleconverter as can be had for the FZ20. not the most powerful, but by all accounts one of the best for clarity and color with minimal CA and no light loss. getting a hood for it is a royal pain - you may have to make one - but it's highly recommended. if you're willing to wait a bit and you're careful, you can snag a good one on ebay for $100-$120 -sometimes even less if you're lucky.

here are a couple of shots i've taken with mine... the first is some pelicans i shot during a trip to the coast a few weeks ago; they were about 75-80 yards away at the time. the second is a para-glider being towed by a ski boat. the guy never came closer than about 3/4 mile (this is about a 60%crop of the original).

neither of these are particularly clever or artistic compositions, but they do show the capability of the FZ20/TCON-14B combination.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:17 AM   #4

I'll add my two thumbs up. Great lens for the money!

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 7:26 AM   #5

I also like the lens and I also like squirls photos.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:06 PM   #6

Spencer1076 wrote:
Quote:

JaSoN S.
The TCON14B is hands down the second best lens for the camera. The Panasonic Tele takes first place.

Here are some examples of the FZ10 with variuos lenses.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/543892/2
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:13 AM   #7

i've heard the panasonic teleconverter is good... is it good enough to be worth 3 times the price of the TCON-14B?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote