Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:37 AM   #1

Hey, I'm sure there are other members here that have used the Oly wcon-08b [edit, sorry] with the fz-20. I just got mine and I'm connecting it to the fz20 with the pemaraal 62mm adaptor. I have noticed that in certain pictures, the center is in focus but there is an outter ring of items out of focus. I'm having a hard time figuring out the zoom range that is optimum for using this lens. Any input is welcome.

Also, I guess I was expecting more but I didn't notice a dramatic change as a result of this lens. What situations would be most appropriate to exploit the capabilities of this lens? I really got it for snapshots at parties to get more into each picture which is why I need to figure out safe zoom ranges but what other cool things has everyone done using this lens?

I also have the Nikon 6t and was blown away by the capabilities of that lens, I guess the impact of the Oly isn't as dramatic. I'm also planning on picking up the Oly tcon-14b soon.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:57 AM   #2

I never heard of a Wcon14B.

Wcon 08 maybe ?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:52 AM   #3

Means Tcon-14B as later in the post.

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:19 AM   #4

I do not think thats so as he said to get more in the photo.

Leads me to believe its a wide angle but maybe something from Ebay , sold as this is "better than a Wcon08"

If he buys a 14B the same way he will not be happy with it either.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5

My fault I have (and the question is about) the Oly wcon-08b, I'm bidding on the Oly tcon-14b and must've had it on the brain. I got it from Olympus so it's the genuine article, the glass is immaculate (no scratches).

I did see those "better than olympus" lenses and decided not to take that chance.

:?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:47 PM   #6

You are not using a filter between the camera and lens?

Everything I have read seems to claim very little distortion and good edge to edge sharpness for the Wcon 08.

But I never understood why you would put on a Wideangle lens and then zoom, I can understand wanting it to work in theory but why do it?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:50 PM   #7

No, I was sure to remove my filter before adding the wcon. There is nothing between the wcon and the leica (except for the pemaraal adaptor which places the wcon very close to the lens).

Why do it? I had just read from a few members that it was a good lense for wider shots like indoors snapshots and maybe even lanscapes.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:33 PM   #8

I am sorry I meant why zoom when a wide angle lens is on it defeats the purpose of the lens.

I use a WA for landscape shots even though I do not have a great WA lens.

And I can see the advantage for group shots.

It's the zoom part I can not understand.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:21 PM   #9

I see what you are saying. As I said, I'm not sure what zoom settings are causing this issue. I have used zoom a bit for framing in my test shots, I could just crop. Obviously, I need to do more tests at various stages of zoom (I'm mainly concerned with 1-3x for framing purposes) to see where this is showing up. Example, if it shows up at 4-12x then it's a non issue since I probably won't ever use the lens at that setting ever.

Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:50 PM   #10

genece wrote:
Quote:
I do not think thats so as he said to get more in the photo.

Leads me to believe its a wide angle but maybe something from Ebay , sold as this is "better than a Wcon08"

If he buys a 14B the same way he will not be happy with it either.
i purchased my TCON-14B on ebay, and am perfectly happy with it. the key is to get the REAL TCON or WCON lens, not a cheap knock-off.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote