Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:44 PM   #1

I popped back into the British Museum after work - not much time just 30 mins before closing. The light was very low which was a bit unusual as its usually quiet well lit, so I shot at ISO200 and occassionaly at 100 - all picts shot hand held, spot focus and in manual, all in cam settings set to low. Converted the pictures into B&W in photoshop - 50% US, a wee bit of contrast and all just re-sized for the forum. I had the whitebalance on Auto which was a bit of a mistake - oh well, I'm going back on the weekend to shot in ISO 50!

I also got my hands on the FZ30 at Jacobs for a couple of mins, which wasn't long enough.

i) Statues from the Parthenon.
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:47 PM   #2

2) A bust - a Roman copy of an original greek statue.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:51 PM   #3

3) The discuss thrower - main entrance to the musuem
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:53 PM   #4

4) His feet
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:31 PM   #5

HatjTT

If I say "spectacular" I fear to be too reductive about these pics..

And I would love to see something from Early Egypt there...

Sometimes low light is not the worst situation: if you manage to keep it steady, the results can be great a far as shadows and atmosphere.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I popped back into the British Museum after work - not much time just 30 mins before closing. The light was very low which was a bit unusual as its usually quiet well lit, so I shot at ISO200 and occassionaly at 100 - all picts shot hand held, spot focus and in manual, all in cam settings set to low. Converted the pictures into B&W in photoshop - 50% US, a wee bit of contrast and all just re-sized for the forum. I had the whitebalance on Auto which was a bit of a mistake - oh well, I'm going back on the weekend to shot in ISO 50!
These are real nice, Harj. I'd like to see some more, too. I like the discuss thrower (nice texture) and number 1, though I'd like it better without the sign and stuff on the left. What shutter speeds were you using? Would auto focus work? ISO50? Will they let you use a triopd?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:51 AM   #7

Beautifully composed. The lighting on #1 is spectacular, the angle and lighting on the foot photo is also excellent, and I love the composition on the discus thrower.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:39 AM   #8

Fantastic shots, Love the subject matter,I've always been fascinated with roman sculpture.
Wombat
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:22 AM   #9

Fred & Narmer

I didn't have too much time yesterday to check the early Egyptian collection although I did get a couple of shots as its practically next to the Greek+Roman. The light wasa lot lower than normal but I think that may have been partly due to the time I got to the BM- 7:30pm. I'm going back on Saturday and planning to take some more pictures and hopefully I can use ISO50.

Fred, yesterday I was having to shoot at 1/10 -1/20 s even at ISO200 so I was really glad of the OIS. ISO400 was giving slightly faster shutter speeds but the picts would have just been likewatercolour shots with the amount of noise. I hada go at ISO 50 but in that light the EVF/LCD was unusable and shutter speeds were down to 1sec or slower. I was thinking about taking a tripod but it looks as if the museums policy is no tripodsbut flash is ok. Its times like that I really wish we could have had a good ISO400 with the FZ's.

Fred, I didn't notice the sign in pict 1 until you just pointed it out and teh stuff on the left is part of the frieze from the parthenon. I'll be taking my grey/white card with me to so I can set a manual white-point too as on auto and on tungsten the FZ10 just kind of lost the plot.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:53 PM   #10

You can shoot at ISO50 with the FZ10?

(BTW, these are great shots! I love BW)
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote