Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:31 PM   #1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30

Comparisons with KMA200, with FZ20 and with Canon 350D and others.

"The FZ30 sets new standards for resolution in this class of camera, with clean, moiré-free results that pretty much go off the end of the chart..."

I m goin to fully read it

NArmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:40 PM   #2

I've just read the conclusion. Will read the rest when i get home.

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:13 PM   #3

Nice review for what I have seen from FZ30.

Strange that, although quite superior in every aspect to FZ20 (which I am using for 9 months), FZ30 has been marked "Recommended" whereas FZ20 was "Highly Recommended"...

FZ30 has many more functions and resolution, perhaps more noise in absolute, but less when images are resized at (same size as FZ20) screen size.

Also colors are DEFINITELY better on FZ30 than on FZ20, and there is no trace of yello cast on WB with images full, of grass...

FZ40 is goinf to be really perfect IF still a 8MP with slightly larger CCD and body
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:23 PM   #4

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Nice review for what I have seen from FZ30.

Strange that, although quite superior in every aspect to FZ20 (which I am using for 9 months), FZ30 has been marked "Recommended" whereas FZ20 was "Highly Recommended"...

Simon said it was because the image quality was not what they hoped for and not one year advanced of the FZ20.

It is the best ultrazoom period and it only gets a recommended...he did say in the forum that it was borderline but fell just short of highly recommended

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:00 PM   #5

For the record, the fz5 also got dpreview's "Highly Recommended".
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:10 PM   #6

This was the most telling paragraph as to why it got "recommended" over "highly recommended."

"So, in the end this is a camera that improves on its predecessor in almost every aspect, and one that makes most of the current crop of 5MP super zooms look like toys in comparison, but it's also one that is frustratingly disappointing for anyone looking for a significant improvement in image quality over the (admittedly class-leading) FZ20. Buy one for it's handling, control, features and sheer class, but don't buy one if you want much better image quality than an FZ20 in anything but very good light, as you simply won't get it. A stunning camera, but not a perfect one. "

So, there you have it. FZ20 owners stay put (unless of course handling, control, features and sheer class are that important to you). Anyone looking for a new prosumer super zoom? FZ30 can't be beat!!

John
atkins400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 7:37 PM   #7

my initial judgement, to wait and hang onto my FZ20, seems to have been vindicated. the handling and control "enhancements" of the FZ30 just aren't that important to me - i've not had any trouble using my '20 - and if the image quality isn't appreciably better, then (for me) there's no reason for me to spend the extra $600 or so for a new camera. yes, 8MP would let me make larger prints, or crop more for the same sizes i make now, but my FZ20 produces gorgeous 11x14's, and i see little need for 8MP. the noise issue concerns me too... i certainly wouldn't want to ditch my FZ20 and spend the cash for a '30, only to find it's worse than the one i had!

i think i'll wait for DSLR's to come down, and then keep the '20 as a back-up... the FZ20 is still an excellent camera, and i haven't seen much in the FZ30 to impress me.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 1:33 AM   #8

The two points of real concern to me:
  • Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low light

Limited dynamic range, highlight clipping in JPEGs
With a RRP of $1100 AU in Oz and with cameras like the Konica Minolta D5 I will not be trading up to a FZ30.

By the way the KM 5D with 18-70 and 75-300mm kit (27-450mm equiv) is going for only $1600 AU, now that is a real good buy. The KM range has IS in the body, combine this with ISO 100-3200, much better dynamic range and you have a camera worth trading up to, I think I will be.

Of course this is just my view, and everyone wants what ever suites them best.

Treemonkey

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 3:28 AM   #9

I have had a FZ30 for a couple of weeks now, and as I get more and more used to it, I honestly like it more and more. Luckily I don't use higher ISO much, as I have seen from various examples, it is noisy. I have not really experimented with that aspect yet. The rest of the features are almost luxurious compared to my old 7i. It's like trading in a fifties pickup truck for a new BMW. I am willing to shoot my next fifty thousand with this one (my total for the 7i in 3 & 1/2 years) and see what's around by the time I'm done. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 7:18 AM   #10

Tree

Not sure on the Minolta's esp with a few of the QC issues that they have been having but they are a tempting. However, Olympus' is about to intro the E500 - here's a link (its all french to me :lol::G:?)

http://www2.photim.com/info/uneinfo.php?N=1114

From the looks of it Oly have fixed quiet a few things from the E300. I'm still happy with my FZ10 for now although I would have loved the ergonomics of the FZ30 and the EVF/LCD they are such a big improvement. I do wish they had increased the diameter of the FZ30's lens though - it does not have the same presence as the FZ10\20's and if it had been a 62mm dia lens coupled with a 6MP CCD it may have really increased the image quality and if the larger lens meant we lost the 12x zoom then I would have been happy with that compromise.

My take if I your looking for an ultra zoom and dont already have an FZ10/20 then the choice is simple get a FZ30 or FZ5 depending on your requirements and price point.

"
Handling and control particularly have been improved almost beyond recognition, and for this alone the FZ30 can be considered a worthwhile upgrade from its predecessor. But if the FZ30 represents a quantum leap in terms of handling and control it is little more than a tiny step forward in terms of image quality."

If you already have an FZ than I think its a personal choice for the upgrade.

Cheers

HarjTT

Treemonkey wrote:

Quote:
The two points of real concern to me:
  • Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low light

Limited dynamic range, highlight clipping in JPEGs
With a RRP of $1100 AU in Oz and with cameras like the Konica Minolta D5 I will not be trading up to a FZ30.

By the way the KM 5D with 18-70 and 75-300mm kit (27-450mm equiv) is going for only $1600 AU, now that is a real good buy. The KM range has IS in the body, combine this with ISO 100-3200, much better dynamic range and you have a camera worth trading up to, I think I will be.

Of course this is just my view, and everyone wants what ever suites them best.

Treemonkey

Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote