Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:41 PM   #1

I'm a convert from a Canon Digital Rebel to the FZ30. I realized I wasn't a good enough photographer to justify all the money I was spending on lenses and accessories for the DReb, so I sold it all and bought an FZ30 to make things a bit simpler.

However, one of the main reasons the FZ30 got my purchase was the RAW feature. I've become quite accustomed to correcting my mistakes in Photoshop CS via RAW photos. Now I learn that not even CS2 nor the software that comes with the FZ30 can make adjustments to the RAW file other than to save it as a JPG. This is quite upsetting considering I laid down quite a bit of money to be able to manipulate RAW files.

Does anyone know of any software that will edit the RAW files from the FZ30 or if/when Adobe will support the FZ30 RAW format?
Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:38 PM   #2

Kieran

From what I've seen of the RAW picts from a post on dpreivew a few weeks ago the FZ30 that were posted were much better than the in cam jpegs - there ws soo much detail lost in the jpeg due to NR but the RAW still retained it. This particular guy did not use the suppiled RAW profile from Pana (unlike the dpreview) but I think the one for the Panasonic LC1. If I had the FZ30 I would for now set all cam settings to low like my FZ10 and then use PSHOP to adjust the contrast, sharpness and saturation or shoot RAW and use the LC1 profile in Photoshop until Panasonic provides a fixed RAW format for the FZ30.

Cheers

Harj
:-)
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:11 PM   #3

Kiernan wrote:
Quote:
I'm a convert from a Canon Digital Rebel to the FZ30. I realized I wasn't a good enough photographer to justify all the money I was spending on lenses and accessories for the DReb, so I sold it all and bought an FZ30 to make things a bit simpler.

However, one of the main reasons the FZ30 got my purchase was the RAW feature. I've become quite accustomed to correcting my mistakes in Photoshop CS via RAW photos. Now I learn that not even CS2 nor the software that comes with the FZ30 can make adjustments to the RAW file other than to save it as a JPG. This is quite upsetting considering I laid down quite a bit of money to be able to manipulate RAW files.

Does anyone know of any software that will edit the RAW files from the FZ30 or if/when Adobe will support the FZ30 RAW format?
You can do the conversion to the LC1 or you can buy silkypix for a real raw program ..or you can use dcraw to edit in PS, that is over my head ..but dcraw does support the FZ30 as does silkypix.

I had some correspondence with Raw shooter and I think they are close to supporting the FZ30. and Simon at dpreviewsaid Panasonic is close, as is camera raw from adobe.

Most likely best to wait a week or so.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks, guys. I found the software to convert to the LC1 raw file and tried it out. It seems to work ok, but ads a few steps to my processing that I'd prefer not to do. I'll keep my eyes open for a CS update.
Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:00 AM   #5

Meanwhile, while waiting Adobe, you should try latest DCRAW with better AHD plus native FZ30 RAW support (no need to convert to LC1 format since there was some problem resported) :

High-End Demosaicing Algorithm (CFA interpolator) and Denoising Algorithm for Digital RAW photo files

http://home.earthlink.net/~paul.j.lee/

and some interesting info about the AHD algorithm comparison :

A Small RAW Decoder Comparison

http://users.tkk.fi/~stanhua/rawcomp/

Hope this helps !
BingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:52 AM   #6

There is a program that I use for my RAW for my Pentax *ist DS. I actually found it when I was looking at the FZ30 and looking at what was being used for RAW conversion.

I have used CS2 and it is dog slow. I do not have a slow computer and have lots of RAM and a P4 processor. CS2 is the issue.

Using RSE (Raw Shooters Essentials) and the LC1 conversion should do the trick.

RSE is free and very fast and easy to use. I can batch process and it saves settings of your tweaks so that if you wanted to at a later date get a print of a saved RAW file the saved settings will show your finished product. Also, if you happen to take many shots of the same subject the settings can be used to batch process your shots rather than tweak one by one.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote