Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:03 PM   #1

I know someone out there has upgraded from FZ20 to 30 and had a Tcon14b/6600pro/Nikon 6T in their arsenal (priority to Tcon14B) and has bought the step ring to match to the FZ30? It sure would be nice to hear your impressions with the 30 and these lenses and some pics! (Gene, you picked up a 30?)

Another area of exteme interest to me is how thus the EVF on the FZ20 compare to the new higher resolution EVF of the FZ30?

Trying to decide if the 30 is worth the upgrade. I'm not worried about the all the "noise" stuff going on over at DPreview. I'm interested in a much improved EVF and the EZ available at 3 & 5 Megapixels...

Thanks in advance, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 6:12 PM   #2

Here are some photos with some converters and the FZ30

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fontsize3...teleconverters

The day I used the 14B and the raynox 2020 there was a good bit of operator error ( to much testing) and they did not turn out very well ...I will do that again soon.

But the telelens all work better on the FZ30 than with the FZ10 or 20.

Now the dcr6600 is a different story ...I made a homade stepring and can take photos with it with no vignetting but with a 55 to 52 step ring there is a good bit of vignetting.

The EVF ..LCD ..extended zoom..faster startup.. faster ..surer focus and many other improvements make the FZ30 a great camera. Much improved over the FZ20...

I liked the other FZs but the 30 is the hands down winner.

If you want a superzoom buy it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:54 PM   #3

Gene, thanks for the response. I currently have the FZ20 with the lenses that I mentioned above. Sounds like the upgrade would be worth it.

I wish you would of touched a little bit more on the improvements in the EVF area. This is one of the biggest complaints I have with my FZ20. Is the 235K EVF a lot better than the 114K on the 20?

Thanks, Gerry
Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:52 PM   #4

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Gene, thanks for the response. I currently have the FZ20 with the lenses that I mentioned above. Sounds like the upgrade would be worth it.

I wish you would of touched a little bit more on the improvements in the EVF area. This is one of the biggest complaints I have with my FZ20. Is the 235K EVF a lot better than the 114K on the 20?

Thanks, Gerry

I do not have the best eyes in the world but I really feel it is much better.

I never was any good at manual focus, but where I can see the difference is on the review after the shot I can tell how good the focus was and I do not use the magnify option.

Also the EVF does not gain up as some do but it does not go dark like the FZ20 does.

To tell you the truth there are a bunch of improvements on the FZ30.

When I upgraded to the FZ20 from the FZ10 there was not much difference. A little better focus and not much else. But there are many improvements on the FZ30.

And quite honestly I do not notice any more noise, in fact I believe there is less noise especially in low light.

I have taken lots of photos just to try and compare..noise and quality and there is not adoubt in my mind that straight from the camera the FZ30's photos are better.and they can be processed even more than the FZ20 photos.

And the 1 area fast focus is enough to cause me to upgrade...but there is so much more.

There is no doubt in my mind that buying the FZ30 was a good decision.

Did I say I like this camera.

and as they say on TV..If you can find a better camera ...buy it.

Old Sep 17, 2005, 9:55 PM   #5

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
I know someone out there has upgraded from FZ20 to 30 and had a Tcon14b/6600pro/Nikon 6T in their arsenal (priority to Tcon14B) and has bought the step ring to match to the FZ30? It sure would be nice to hear your impressions with the 30 and these lenses and some pics! (Gene, you picked up a 30?)

Another area of exteme interest to me is how thus the EVF on the FZ20 compare to the new higher resolution EVF of the FZ30?

Trying to decide if the 30 is worth the upgrade. I'm not worried about the all the "noise" stuff going on over at DPreview. I'm interested in a much improved EVF and the EZ available at 3 & 5 Megapixels...

Thanks in advance, Gerry
Here are some sample FZ30 pictures with various lenses.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/804122

The TCON14B DCR2020 TCON17 WCON08 work better then on the FZ10 and FZ20, because the add-on lens is closer to the front element on the FZ30. I am having trouble with the WCON07 the pictures have an OOF spot in the center. This could be a defective WCON07 or a bad match. I am investigating further.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 1:08 PM   #6

Lovelife, thanks for the pics! Man I don't see any problems with this camera. Really sharp! Gerry
Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:24 PM   #7

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife, thanks for the pics! Man I don't see any problems with this camera. Really sharp! Gerry
The WCON08, TCON14B, TCON17, DCR2020 lenses perform better on the 30 then the 10 and 20 models. The DCR6600 WA is worse, more vignetting, because the camera starts at 35mm, which is 23.1mm instead of 23.8mm on the FZ10 and 20. Gene has come up with a wonderful solution for the DCR6600, which makes it perform perfectly on the FZ30. The normal 55-52mm step down ring moves the base lens 4mm from the front bezel. By taking a 55-58 step up rings and gluing in the DCR6600 with silicone the distance is dropped to .99mm.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:55 PM   #8

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Gene has come up with a wonderful solution for the DCR6600, which makes it perform perfectly on the FZ30. The normal 55-52mm step down ring moves the base lens 4mm from the front bezel. By taking a 55-58 step up rings and gluing in the DCR6600 with silicone the distance is dropped to .99mm.
Way to go, Gene That's using that KeystoneIngenuity:idea:Excellent idea! Now let's see some shots -like of a boat interior at 1x, 3x, and 6x.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:57 PM   #9

Quote: Now the dcr6600 is a different story ...I made a homade stepring and can take photos with it with no vignetting but with a 55 to 52 step ring there is a good bit of vignetting.

I am definitely considering upgrading from my FZ20 to the FZ30, but Ialso have a bunch of lenses andfilters with a 52mm thread, including the DCR6600.Would you be able to sell one of your homemade step rings for me if I make the move to the FZ30?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:16 PM   #10

It is not so much homemade

You just need a 55mm to 58mm stepup ring ..the DCR6600 drops into it almost like it was made for that. You can handhold the lens in the ring but I put some Silicone adhesive on the inside of the ring to hold the lens.

If you decided to get a different camera the adhesive could be removed. you just need a ring like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search